SCORM 2004 - Status of "Failed" versus "In Progress"

Feb 26, 2015

We recently had to start publishing to SCORM 2004 3rd Edition because our courses are too big for SCORM 1.2 suspend data limits.  With this switch, I have found that when a user status should be "In Progress", it is instead reported as "Failed".   I tested in SCORM Cloud and Success always immediately equals "Failed".  

I have tried the various publishing options - Passed/Failed, Passed/Incomplete, Incomplete/Complete - they all report as Failed immediately.  If I've done my research right, "Passed/Incomplete" should return a success status of "Unknown", which would hopefully equal the "In Progress" status I'm seeking.   But alas, SCORM Cloud nor my LMS are producing these results.  Only "Failed" until you finish the completion requirement.

This is incredibly disheartening and frustrating for my learners.  It's a terrible user experience. They should not immediately see a "Failed" status if they have to leave and come back into the course.  It should accurately show "In Progress."

Am I the only one dealing with this? I didn't find anything on this in the forums. Is this a known issue? Is there anything I can do to fix it?  My LMS doesn't support 4th Edition yet, so SCORM 2004 3rd Edition seems like my only option.  And my LMS vendor relies on the testing results from SCORM Cloud to ensure their player acts accordingly.  So if I'm seeing a Success "Failed" status in SCORM Cloud, I have little leverage to get my vendor to take any action on our behalf.

Any help our guidance is appreciated.  Thank you!

17 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jessica!

Here is the update that Christine got back from support on her issue, but no update as to what the resolution was:

Thank you for sharing the file. I was able to test this from our end on the SCORM Cloud, and I did see that status showing as Failed for the Success Status. I was looking at the SCORM Logs, and do see that we are reporting the status as Unknown for the Success Status. 

You may want to reach out to Rustici Software Support to see if they can provide an answer as to why they are reporting this as Failed.http://support.scorm.com/anonymous_requests/new 

Chrissy Chamberlain

HI all, I never got in touch with Rustici and instead found a workaround in my LMS to override the failed status with an in progress status.   I was essentially able to create a rule that said "If assignment status = failed, and score = 0, update assignment status to 'in progress'."   Rustici should be notified and challenged with this issue, but I just haven't had the time!

Chrissy Chamberlain

We have this rules functionality available in our LMS, which is built on the Salesforce platform.  I did not do this in Articulate.  I did try to play with the published .js files from Storyline to see if I could get the course to report differently to the LMS.  However, nothing I tried worked.  Good luck!  

Ujjwol Tamrakar

I am having the same problem with the course. But I am not being able to understand what solution made it work. Can you please elaborate on what I can do to solve this issue? I am using Articulate Storyline 2 with SCORM 2004 setting, tracking to "Result Slide" and Reporting to "Passed/Failed". But it shows "Fail" while closing in the middle instead of "In progress" (even before starting the quiz).

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Ujjwol - Looks like the user was able to adjust a setting within their LMS to get this working correctly. This thread is a bit dated and I'm not sure that the users are still subscribed.

Is this an issue that you are able to replicate in SCORM Cloud as well? If so, please feel free to share the .story file so that we can take a look.

Ujjwol Tamrakar

Hi Leslie,

Yes I got that it was a bit dated thread. However the problem here was solved internally just by rearranging the triggers on the result slide on Articulate Storyline. I have used the 3 layers for the results namely "Success", "Failure" and "Failure attempt Exceed" as it was as per my work requirements. And the problem was solved when I pushed the "Submit Result" trigger towards the buttom than those showing the result layers. And that's how it was solved. I didn't get the perfect idea what have made it solved, but my job was done.

Thanks for the reply though.

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for sharing your solution with us, Ujjwol! Something as small as trigger order actually makes a big difference, since triggers at the top of the list happen first, and they can sometimes prevent other triggers from happening if they're in the wrong order.

So does that mean that the course is now reporting to your LMS correctly? Let us know if you need any further assistance!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.