Storyline 360 and Font Management

Feb 27, 2018

My shop uses the latest version of Storyline 360. We manage fonts using FontAgent Pro 4.5 for most of our fonts and TypeKit for others. We've had some rendering issues recently with two font families: Montserrat and Proxima Nova. 

Montserrat will render perfectly fine on one machine but default to a weird serif face on another (after publishing to HTML5 with Flash backup on both machines). Both machines pull from the FontAgent Pro library for Montserrat.

Proxima Nova is a stranger beast. On one machine, we pull the font from FontAgent Pro, and Storyline 360 starts up with the error that Proxima Nova isn't installed on that machine (when it is). We don't get that error on machines pulling Proxima Nova from TypeKit. More strangely, the fonts sometimes render as gibberish, both on the development machine and on other machines viewing the HTML5 output. We've deactivated Proxima Nova in FontAgent Pro and tried reinstalling it from TypeKit, but there must be some artifact hanging around from the FontAgent Pro version because TypeKit says it's already installed. I suspect the root issue is with FontAgent Pro, but am open to any guidance. 

Anyone else run into either scenario with these font families? Are there best practices for font management in Storyline 360?

Thanks in advance,

Ashley

7 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Ashley! I can try and help you here.

A couple things come to mind right off the bat:

• Storyline 360 automatically installs these fonts on your computer when you install the software, and Montserrat is one of them. I've seen problems pop up when there are two instances of the same font installed on a machine. To fix this, try uninstalling Storyline 360, and delete the Montserrat font from your computer. Then, reinstall Storyline 360. 
  • Do you notice that the Proxima Nova font looks correct if you turn on Modern Text
Ashley Kirstein

Thanks, Alyssa! I was using Modern Text but that didn't resolve the issue.  We now exclusively use FontAgent Pro to manage our fonts, so my question has changed somewhat. Now I wonder if there's a way to get Storyline to sync to FontAgent and view those fonts as "installed" (although they technically aren't). This would be helpful, as I don't know how else to get Proxima Nova to show up properly in my courses, and this is a font we must use. Thanks again for any guidance.

Patrick Howard

I am experiencing the exact same issue as Ashley with the Montserrat font. 

It looks like Articulate is packaged with a significantly out of date version of the Montserrat Font (version 2.001) which it will always install on startup (even if you have manually deleted it).

Adobe Typekit (or just downloading the font from it's Github page or Google Fonts) gives the latest version of the font (version 7.200).

So now we have a situation where two fonts of the same type (but different versions) on the authoring PC are breaking the published output and there is no way to run Articulate without having the out of date font installed. Removing the latest version of the font is not an option as we use it in other programs.

Can you guys please go through the packaged fonts included with Articulate and update them to the latest version provided by Adobe & Google Fonts or allow Articulate to distinguish between different font versions?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Patrick, 

Thank you for reaching out and sharing what you are running into as well.

I've reported this to our team as a potential software bug for us to dig into a bit more. I appreciate you sharing the details of your testing.

I wanted to share some information on how we define bugs and how we tackle them when they occur.

Luciana Piazza

Hello Everyone!

I'm happy to share that we have released Storyline 360 version 72 (Build 3.72.29654.0).

Included in this release, we made an enhancement and have updated several fonts that get installed with Storyline 360 to the latest versions.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let us know if you have any questions by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Have a great day!