Storyline 360 instability on M1 Mac with Parallels/Windows 11 ARM version

Apr 29, 2022

I have been building a course in Storyline 360 on a 2021 M1Pro Macbook, latest MacOS, 32Gb Ram using the latest Parallels and Windows 11 ARM version (which now installs automatically from the Parallels install).

It was working pretty well (a bit slow) for some time, but it started having weird glitches like losing line spacing settings. (I'd set exact line spacing for layout purposes, and after saving, closing and returning to the file I found that everywhere I had changed that, it was changed back to single line spacing, of course, making a mess of my layouts.)

Working with Articulate support, their best assessment is that "erratic behavior" like this means some sort of corrupted install. Now after uninstalling, and reinstalling all Articulate products, the line spacing bug is different, but now Storyline keeps crashing every 15 or 20 minutes. 

It is starting to look to me like Articulate is not completely stable running on an M1 Mac under Parallels. (Seems like it might be fine for some light usage?) This would be very sad since so many people seem to use Macs for working in Storyline, and the M1 Macs have been out for 2 years now. 

I am very curious to hear the experience of anyone who has been working in Articulate (not just a quick tryout) for some extended period of time on an M1 Mac in Parallels.

-  Would I do better going back to the Windows 10 ARM Preview instead of the Windows 11 for ARM version?

-  Will the Articulate support articles for Mac be updated to refer to the Windows 11 for ARM option that is being shipped now in Parallels?

- Do Mac users really have to buy a PC just to use this one program? (Or go back to an older pre-2020 Macbook with Intel processor?) 

Thanks,

Lon 

Pinned Reply
Eric Santos

Hi everyone,

I have some great news to share! We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 77, we've included important fixes and new features.

One of the bugs we've fixed is: 

• The trigger wizard performs faster on M-series Macs.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

25 Replies
Steven Benassi

Hi Matt!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing slowdowns when accessing Storyline through a virtual machine!

I see that you've also opened a support case that's been received by our senior support engineers. You're in excellent hands troubleshooting with them and they should be following up with you shortly! In the meantime, do you mind elaborating on which tools or features within Storyline were performing slowly?

Looking forward to hearing from you!