Storyline 360, not able to get student's name from the LMS Successfactors but it works in Scorm Cloud

Jul 03, 2018

Hi

I'm trying to get the learners names from the LMS Successfactors but it does not work. but when I publish my Storyline in Scorm Cloud it works. (I'm publishing in scorm 2004 4th edition in html5)

Since it works in Scorm Cloud it means that my Javascript is correct right?, is it a problem with the LMS? or it is because of html5?. did someone have the same problem? thanks in advance

8 Replies
Nicole Legault

Hi there Lyes, 

Thanks for posting your question here in the community. 

If everything is working as it should in SCORM Cloud that would tend to indicate that the problem is with your LMS. You may want to check out this article on troubleshooting LMS issues

According to the article above, if your content works properly at SCORM Cloud but not in your LMS, open a support case with your LMS provider to troubleshoot the issue. Your LMS provider may request a debug log to help identify the problem. Click here to learn how to generate a debug log.

The article may provide further information that is helpful to you. Hope this helps!

Melanie  Allaire

Hi Nicole

I just received a feedback from my LMS provider, and according to them, if the content works in Scorm Cloud it does not mean that it will work in the LMS system asnd the this situation is not supported by the LMS support team and need to be reviewed by the content developper which is me.

I don't know how to solve this problem since my javascript code is working and what could be the next step to solve this situation.

Here is the answer that I received from the LMS support team : 

Based on the information provided, below it is possible to find our feedback: 

• The content (the code itself) troubleshoot is not supported by the LMS Product Support team. This needs to be reviewed by the content developer. The LMS system does not control the content, it just receives the communication/information from the content, when launched.  
  • Even if the content works in the Scorm Cloud, it does not mean that it would work in the LMS system, consequently.

• The troubleshoot made by the LMS Product Support team is related to the content configuration at the LMS level/side that does not behave as expected (e.g.: the course is not available to be launched) or an item that does not complete, even if it is sending "completion" to LMS, for example.

I wonder if you can help agian with this question or if did have this kind of issue before

thank you in advance Nicole

Lyes

Phil Mayor

There are plenty of threads on here related to getting user name from the LMS, it is probably the level that the course is being opened at, a lot of LMSs will open the HTML inside an iframe, there is code here that may help https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/username-from-an-lms-on-both-flash-and-html5

Melanie  Allaire

Thank you Alyssa for the reply,

Here is the Javascript that I used in my storyline file and it works in Scorm cloud :

var player = GetPlayer();
var lmsAPI = parent;
var myName = lmsAPI.SCORM2004_GetStudentName();
alert("my name "+myName); // I used this alert and some at the end of the script to make sure it works while running
var nameArray = myName.split(", ");
var firstName = nameArray[1];
var lastName = nameArray[0];
alert("my first name is "+firstName);
alert("my last name is "+lastName);
player.SetVar('first_Name',firstName);
player.SetVar('last_Name',lastName);

Melanie  Allaire

Thank you Phil for the link, at a glance a see that they in the script they are searching for the API firste by checking the parent windows. 

Before to use the code here above I did try to find the API through the parent windows as it is specified in the javascript wrapper of scorm 2004 4th edition but it never worked for me in SuccessFactors.

I will ltry the script in the link you posted and let you know

thank you all again for your help

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.