Storyline 360 or storyline 3?

Dec 08, 2016

Hello there

I am looking for information on e-learning development software. I found this site. When I read in the topics I read about Storyline 360 and also about storyline 3.

My question is "Is Storyline 360 the same as storyline 3? Or are they two different software programms?" I think it's the same, but I am not sure.
Hope to recieve an answer soon. Thanks in advance, Sebastian

41 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jonathan,

With Storyline and Studio 360 we're using the responsive player and with Rise we're using an entirely responsive design. It's an important distinction, as our team chose to go the route of the responsive player for a number of reasons described in this article. 

You may also find this article comparing when to use Rise vs. Storyline helpful 

Jonathan Workman

Thanks for the quick reply.  The Storyline content is scaled, but I don't know that I would consider that truly responsive.  If I was viewing 4 icons across on a computer monitor, I would expect those icons to be positioned 2x2 in a smartphone landscape orientation and vertically 4 in a row on most smartphones in portrait view. Storyline is just going to scale the content so it appears 4 in a row on any device, correct?

Hi Jonathan, 

That's how Rise will work -- as everything is created in a template and we can determine the location of all those items on each device.

Knowing that Storyline and Studio could have content and objects in any slide location, we respect that design and adjust the scaling of slide content while changing the responsive player features, and we do this without shifting the content on your slides.

Have you tried the responsive device preview to see how your course will look in different devices and orientations before you even publish? I find that helpful to ensure that icons or images are sized so that users can see them on all devices. 

Marge Rutter

I understand that Storyline 360 is a subscription service, and that the version of Storyline that we get as part of that subscription would be updated with new features as they come out... which would make it out of parity with the standalone Storyline 3 product. However, doesn't the standalone Storyline 3 product also have updates (builds) occasionally? Wouldn't each new build bring it back into alignment with what is then the version in Storyline 360?

If that is not the case... how do we know which features need to be avoided in Storyline 360 in order for it to still open in Storyline 3? Is there an ongoing list that is updated with each new update of Storyline 360?

Marge Rutter

So, if I build it in Storyline 3, I can send it to someone who is working in Storyline 360 for them to QC it. They will be able to open it and make simple edits to it, and then save it and send it back to me. I'll be able to still open it in Storyline 3, right? As long as the person using Storyline 360 doesn't add anything that is labeled in the release notes as an "enhanced"? 

Thanks.

Marge Rutter

It would be great if Articulate would maintain a list of the features that cannot be used in Storyline 360 if you are trying to maintain alignment with the latest build of Storyline 3. Something that we could refer to when co-working with someone who does not have the subscription version. Is that something we might see from Articulate in the future?

Ziv Rumack

Hi Ashley,

1- when referring to the aspect of best responsiveness in different devices can you please highlight the differences between 360 to SL3?
I understand that in 360 the main upgrade is that Rise is truly responsive? but what about the storyline files? are they scaled like SL3? 

2- Articulate review- is this optional only for a team membership is a single user subscription enough to enable this?

thanks!

Michael Anselmo

I can answer number 2 for you...It is included in the single user subscription as well.  I use it both internally and with my colleagues in Germany.  It works pretty well.  I really like the comment capability and use that to fix errors found during review and to make other changes per user comments/requests.  The only difference I believe is that you have limited memory to upload, and it's plenty if you are using it for people to review before publishing.  I believe I recently had 9 or 10 short courses up with along with a couple larger ones.  You can just remove them when your done.  I do wish it were a little more affordable so I can get my own personal subscription and maybe do a little side work as I get better at this. :-)

- Mike

Hi Ziv,

Storyline 3 and Storyline 360 will both use the responsive player when viewing mobile content. Take a look at this FAQ for more details on that. Rise (a tool within Articulate 360) is fully responsive design. 

With Articulate 360 you get access to a whole suite of tools, including Rise and Storyline, access to Content Library, Articulate Review and more! Are you using a trial now? If you have questions about upgrading or how features may fit your needs our Sales team is always happy to answer those! 

Articulate Review is available as a part of Articulate 360 (teams or individual subscriptions). 

Hope that helps! 

Maria D

Hello, If creating new software /tool e-learning content where content will be mainly screenshots of new tool users will need to populate or enter data in and submit (step, action(click), result , access reports,  etc.., which tool would be best to use, Storyline 360, or Rise360.  (We have Articulate 360) . Looking for expert advice, suggestions and if possible links to similar eLearning samples. Thank you 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Maria and welcome to E-Learning Heroes 😊

Thanks for reaching out and asking about the comparison. It sounds like you need some custom interactivity, which makes me think Storyline 360. I'll let you decide after taking a look at these examples:

Rise 360 or Storyline 360: Which One Should You Use for Your Project?

I cannot wait to see what others suggest as well!

Leslie McKerchie

I understand, Maria.

Since the products are pretty different, it's hard to fit that information in a chart similar to what you've seen for comparing the Storyline versions.

However, I do have some additional resources for you: