Storyline 360 problems from one version to other

May 30, 2018

I want to follow up about something I have seen for some time now, when updating versions for Storyline 360, things that were working correctly in the previous version then start working incorrectly. This happened several times now, for example I remember one time that a new version had a bug that when exporting the text for translation the Bold and Italics got lost, and I had to manually apply them, but the previous version did not have that problem at all. That was solved in the following updates, but it was a very big problem for sometime. Also, had a similar problem with the funtionallity of a button. The action was meant to hide the button at the beginning of the slide and then make it visible when the timeline ends. It was working good at the biginning of the project and in the middle of the project not. I had to workaround the whole file as it was a bug. Not to mention that the interactivities with Submit buttons jumping directly to the next slide (if a feedback is not included) it is not solved yet... that is a very big problem. I have to have an Incorrect or correct empty layer to solve that. See for reference: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/submit-interaction-trigger-sometime-act-like-a-next-button

Now I see this. Japanese is not displaying well in the slide in version v3.13.14869.0 but the same slide was displaying well in version v3.10.13923.0. See screenshots attached. This problem happens in a term of a month and now the project still in process need to be re-adjusted. 

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Selene, 

With the changes you're seeing the text shifting, it could be attributed to the modern text rendering introduced in Update 12. That changed how text appeared on the slide to account for some issues with font spacing. Also Update 16 was released earlier this month and there are a number of other fixes and features included there.  We'd always recommend being on the latest update.

The link you shared about the submit button, did you see Alyssa's last response? That is working by design with the built in submit button: 

The quiz slide automatically jumps to the next slide when the user clicks the "Submit" button because the feedback setting is "None." When there is no feedback given, Storyline automatically takes the learner to the next question. 
You might try reworking your set-up a bit. I'm thinking you can add blank feedback layers, and include the custom navigation buttons on the feedback layers rather than on the base layer.
Alyssa Gomez

I really appreciate that you've reached out to us, Selene.

I can understand how disappointing and frustrating it is to rework your projects and make changes based on bugs that arose in new Storyline updates. It's not an experience we'd want anyone to have, and over the last few release cycles our team has been working to refine this process. Going forward, we have a renewed focus on fixing issues over adding features, and our goal is to eliminate introducing new bugs with each software update.

Now, let's help you sort out the font issue you're seeing in the latest update. Would you mind sharing the original (unpublished) project file with our team here? We'll comb through the project to identify the cause of this problem and hopefully get it resolved. 

Be sure to let me know your case number so I can follow along, as well. 
LinguaGraphics Articulate-Team

Hi all, I still encounter the same problems, more and more. The change of versions is giving us a big headache. The player changes across versions and if the client we have used an older version we cannot replicate it. Please use one style and avoid change it constantly. Also, things that works in one version stop working in other. The program was more stable before.