Storyline 360 Reverted to Old Version of File?

Feb 17, 2020

I was publishing a Storyline file and it reverted back to an older version (with 100% old content). I can't get the fixed version back. I even have a published version visible in Review 360 to prove that I put all new content in. There is no reason why an older version would be appearing in its place.

Can someone help me retrieve the content I need so I don't have to rewrite it all? Seen screenshare attached.

9 Replies
Lauren Connelly

Hi Rebecca!

Sorry you're hitting this snag! This isn't an error I've seen before.

Which version of Storyline 360 are you using? We just released Update 37 (Build 3.37.21453.0) this week. 

If you're not on the newest update, I'd recommend updating Storyline 360 and then publishing the updated file to Review 360. Please let me know if you're still seeing the error.

Rejina Jannah

I just experienced this same problem. I made a lot of updates to the file last week using Articulate Storyline 360, then I updated to the latest version of articulate 360 and Storyline 360 today. After the 360 updates, the file reverted back to an older version without the changes. I uploaded the file to Storyline Review last week and the changes I made to the file show in the published version. 

What is going on here? Arrrgg!!!!!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Regina and welcome to E-Learning Heroes 😊

Thank you for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing with your project file.

I do not see an update from Rebecca, but I'd be happy to help you out here. Publishing the file does not include a copy of the project file, nor does this automatically save your project. If you did not save the updated project, there may still be a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's how to check:

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.
Jose Tansengco

Hi Dennis, 

Sorry to hear that you ran into a similar issue. I'd like to ask a few questions to help clarify your experience: 

• Are you working locally when making changes to your project file? Working directly on a network drive has been known to cause saving issues sometimes caused by latency, so this is something we recommend to avoid doing. 
  • Is there a possibility that you saved your project file under a different file name? 
  • Is this the first time this issue has happened, or is this a fairly common occurrence? 

Looking forward to your response!

Aamon Miller

Unfortunately, it just happened to me. I published the review link, then published the SCORM package. When I sent it for testing, the review link had current/correct content. But, the SCORM package had old/incorrect content from 2 review rounds prior. I, too, had to rebuild the text from the source documents. This is a terrible bug!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Aamon,

Sorry to hear that you ran into his issue. 

We're not seeing this issue being reported by other users so the behavior might be isolated. I'd like to ask a few questions to help clarify your experience: 

• Are you working locally when editing and publishing your Storyline 360 project files
  • Is this happening to all of your project files, or just a few? 
  • Do you recall saving your project file before publishing the course for LMS distribution?
  • Did you check the timestamp of the LMS package that you shared? It should have a timestamp from the day you published your course. Otherwise, a different SCORM package may have been shared. 

If you're seeing this issue happening frequently and you're working locally, try repairing your Storyline 360 installation to see if this fixes the problem. 

Looking forward to your response!