Storyline 360 - video won't play in new browser window

Sep 04, 2018

I recently downloaded the latest update for Storyline 360 and now when I insert a video and set it to launch in a new window, it won't play the video. I'm embedding the video because we don't want our end users to leave the elearning course. I'm using Google Chrome, I've tried outputting with both Scorm 1.2 and Scorm 2004. Anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions for me? I've used this same technique successfully within the past 3 months.

5 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Tracy!

Thanks for letting us know what's going on! I've tried recreating this issue in my own file, but so far, the video is opening in a new browser window correctly. 

Are you testing the LMS output inside a learning management system? If not, try hosting it in SCORM Cloud, and let me know if you see a difference!

And if you're unsure about that testing, I'd be glad to help! Just attach your original Storyline project file here.

Tracy Naso

I got this to work but not the way I wanted. I was able to get the videos to launch in a new window only if the user clicked on the video to play it. I had wanted to create buttons that would launch the video in a new window, but without success. Do you know if it’s possible to launch an embedded video in a new window by using the “Play Media” triggers?

Crystal Horn

Hi Tracy!  So it sounds like you want the video to play when triggered as opposed to when clicked.  When you change the video options to "show video in a new window," you'll notice that the "Play Video" dropdown menu switches to "when clicked," and becomes grayed out.  

I tested triggering in updates 19 and 18, and had the same results.  The triggers did nothing, and the video had to be clicked. 

I tested in Storyline 2, however, and I saw that the trigger to play the video when the timeline starts actually worked.  I'm not sure with which version of Storyline that behavior changed, so I'll get a bit more information from our team about whether those triggers can work going forward!

I'll update this discussion as soon as I can.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Tracy.  I have to apologize; I think I misspoke.  I must have inadvertently clicked on the video in the SL2 mockup I made.  I'm actually not able to trigger the video to play other than by clicking on it in SL2, either.

Do you have a link to any of your published output that you created before updating Storyline most recently?  I need to dig in a bit further with you since I can't reproduce being able to trigger the video in a way other than by clicking on it!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.