Storyline SCORM 2004 - bug in true/false quiz reporting

Jan 10, 2017

Hi everyone, 

I've noted a bug in storyline scorm 2004 reporting. 

The problem is only for true/false type questions : the variable "cmi.interactions.learner_response" is ALWAYS "false", even if student answers true. 

BUT the score is OK, cmi.interactions.result tells me "correct" when it is correct, and "incorrect" when it is incorrect, according to what I have stated as the good answer. 

So, to be more clear, storyline is OK for calculating the score and the result for these questions. There is just an error on the "cmi.interactions.learner_response" for this type of questions, which can be quite confusing for trainers who want to know what students have actually answered. 

I have tested that on 2 different LMS and this is the same. I have not tested it with scorm 1.2.

Have you already heard about that problem ?

Thank you, 

Mehdi

15 Replies
Mehdi BEAUXIS-AUSSALET

Hey, 

I just discovered scorm cloud (thank you for that!) and it's the same problem. 

I always answer "vrai" (true), but the scorm tells me I answered false !!! But the scoring is ok, which is weird...

I swear I clicked on "true" each time ! You can check by yourself ;)

You can see the scorm cloud report in the attached screenshot

Alyssa Gomez

Hello Mehdi,

I also tested your file in SCORM Cloud and found that though my completion and score were correct, the data indicates that I selected "False" on Question 1, when I actually selected "True".

Once you open your case, be sure to share your case number here. That way I can share a link to your course in SCORM Cloud for testing!

Benjamin Wunderlin

Hello all,

Are there any updates / news regarding this topic?
I have exactly the same issue as Mehdi explained:

The problem is only for true/false type questions : the variable "cmi.interactions.learner_response" is ALWAYS "false", even if student answers true.
BUT the score is OK, cmi.interactions.result tells me "correct" when it is correct, and "incorrect" when it is incorrect, according to what I have stated as the good answer. 

Many thanks for your support

benny

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Benny,

After our team investigated this we found that it occurred when an author changed the value associated with the true/false. 

You can customize the true/false responses in Storyline and Quizmaker quizzes. For example, you might use yes/no or right/wrong instead.

Customized true/false questions will be scored properly, but you may find that your LMS logs show "false" for customized responses. For example, if you use yes/no responses and the correct response is "yes," you might see something like this in your log files:

cmi.interactions.0.type: TrueFalse

cmi.interactions.0.objectives.0.id: Question_Text_Here

cmi.interactions.0.timestamp: 2016-01-28T06:33:57

cmi.interactions.0.correct_responses.0.pattern: false

cmi.interactions.0.weighting: 1

cmi.interactions.0.learner_response: false

cmi.interactions.0.result: correct

Notice that the result is still correct even though the custom "yes" response is displayed in the log file as "false."

Since the LMS expects to receive only "true" and "false" options, it will consider anything else to be "false."

If you just need to track learners' results, you can safely ignore the "false" responses in your log files. On the other hand, if you need to see your custom responses in your log files, we recommend using a multiple-choice question with two answer choices (e.g., yes/no) rather than a true/false question.

Hope that helps clarify! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.