The file "..." is read only, being used by another process error

Sep 08, 2017

I am receiving this error when publishing to a word document. I have been able to publish to articulate review without issue. , my articulate storyline 360 updated on 9/6. I have uninstalled the program and reinstalled. I have restarted and shut my system completely down and I am working on a local drive. None of the tips that I have read in older discussions seem to be working. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

30 Replies
Eric Santos

Hello Sofie!

I'm happy to jump in; sorry for the trouble publishing to Word! I appreciate you sharing the Storyline file, which I tried publishing to Word successfully; see the attached output document.

May I know what Microsoft Office version is installed on your computer? These are the supported versions for Storyline 360:

• Microsoft Office 365 (desktop apps only) or the latest perpetual version of Microsoft Word (32-bit or 64-bit)

Please also double-check that you don't have custom File Block Settings enabled. Here's how:

1. Open an existing Word document or create a new one.
  2. Go to the File tab on the ribbon and click Options.
  3. Select the Trust Center tab on the left side of the window.
  4. Click the Trust Center Settings button on the right side of the window.
  5. Select the File Block Settings tab on the left side of the window.
  6. Click Restore Defaults in the lower right corner.
  7. Click OK three times to save your changes and exit Word Options.
  8. Republish your Storyline course.

If the problem persists, could I have you connect with us in a case so we can determine what's happening? We'll reach out soon after we hear from you!

Eric Santos

Thanks for your reply and for reporting this is in a support case, Sophie! I see that Darwin picked up the case with a response. I'm sharing it below to benefit our community members who are subscribed to this thread.

I can see that your IT department has decided to block the 2007 .doc version. Please note that Storyline's Publish to Word feature currently utilizes *.doc format. With that said, this version should be enabled for the publish to Word feature to work.

There's no option to change the format of Word output. But we are currently tracking a *.docx format output feature. I'll include your case in this request and let you know if this feature becomes available. Check out this article to learn how we manage feature requests.

Let's continue the conversation in your support case, but I'm happy to assist further as needed!

BJ

I am having the same issue.  No one else on the team is having this issue with their program.  It happens with every Storyline file I created and use now.  I get two popup error messages:  1) We're sorry, something went wrong with Articulate Storyline and it might close... 2) The folder 'ABC123' is read-only, being used by another process or you do not have the proper security permission to access this resource. 

The license was recently updated.  And, I received a new laptop with Windows 11.  IT checked permissions, and I have full access.  

I submitted a support ticket and will post the results here.

Steven Benassi

Hi BJ!

Sorry to hear you've run into this setback!

Smart move on opening a support case! I see that your case is being handled by my teammate, Luiza. It looks like Luiza replied to your e-mail sharing insight into this behavior and steps you can take.

We can continue troubleshooting through your case to help keep all information in one spot.