Timeline Triggers (SL360, May 2023)

May 22, 2023

Hello,

We've come across a strange problem with our timeline triggers lately, possibly caused by the most recent update. In our Slide master we have a list of "When Timeline Reaches" triggers which pause the timeline every second (See triggers1.png). We paste this list of triggers into the slide master of every course we've been making lately without issue.

The problem is that lately when we reopened the courses we can see the triggers have gone wrong (see triggers2.png) where any trigger after 5 seconds has been removed and combined. I know that this is because the timeline of the slide master itself is capped at 5 seconds and the timeline triggers went beyond that (up to 40 seconds) but this wasn't an issue last month. 

Now we have 1000 courses where the triggers break once they are opened in the most recent versions of SL! Why has this happened?

5 Replies
Math Notermans

Checking some old posts this seems to be an old existing bug that has reappeared again...
https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/slide-master-timing-overrides-the-set-slide-timings

If this is really the case Articulate should reassess their internal review steps on releasing updates as their certainly something missing.

Alas the old rule remains true... 'Wait before updating to the latest version'.
In companies i worked in the past, employees only were allowed to update Storyline when someone had tested it a lot to see if anything in old versions broke.

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

if have tried a master slide with with such trigger (time outsite the timeline length in master)

it was not possible to create new trigger with time > 5 sec, if the timeline is 5 sec long
 - SL 3.73
 - SL 3.70
 - SL 3.60 (Jan 2022)

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/e62bed63-eb31-4777-b532-b16ea33d064d/review

this explains your problem - apparently articulate published the 3.75 update assumed that such cases exist - the current gui does not allow such input at all

Mark Wilson

Thank you for your replies. You are correct that you can not add a trigger with a time later than 5 seconds but it is possible to paste one in from another slide with a longer timeline.

Sadly I know that there isn't a fix for this. We do have to downgrade SL and amend the timelines for each course.