Upgrading courses to Storyline 360

Nov 21, 2016

Hello everyone,

I just upgraded a project built in Storyline 2 to  Storyline 360 to test the responsive design, but it does not seem to work. Are there any adjustments I need to make?

Please see the screenshots showing how the course looks like when launched in Storyline 2  and how it looks published in Storyline 360 - the text on screen has changed into some strange signs and the subtitles are completely dislocated and unreadable. Strangely enough, nothing happened with the text box in the top right corner. 

Also, why there is no seek bar in the preview? I know that if you rotate the tablet into portrait orientation it appears, but it does not really solve the problem when you only launch the courses in landscape orientation. Are there any plans to implement seek bar (that user can interact with - not only see the progress) in landscape orientation, too?

Thank you!

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Petronela,

Are these images from within Preview? If so, I'd expect them to look the same as you're seeing the desktop version of it, and the responsive elements are going to be within the player when you view it on a mobile device or tablet. You can read more about the responsive set up here. 

As for the text items did you see the same shift of text when viewing each slide after the file was upgraded? Does the text shift or is it a different font/size? I'd like to take a look at your original .story file to see how that behaves when I go through the upgrade process. You can upload it here using the "add attachment" button. 

Petronela Gdovinova

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your reply.

The screenshots were taken from desktop browser and the course was launched
in company LMS - so the screenshots show what exactly will our clients see
when viewing it. (I took the course built in Storyline 2 republished in
Storyline 360 and uploaded to our LMS)

We have users that use desktop browsers as well as we have users who view
courses on mobile devices.
I assumed that responsive design would work on both. However, as you can
see in the screenshots, unexpected problems occurred.

I tested the same course on my iPad yesterday and it was even worse as the
speech was really slow and there were big pauses between sentences. The
course is somehow dislocated - you need to scroll down to see the "full
screen". It is also quite unstable - some of the buttons won't react and
you can slide to the next slide even though we disabled the next button
until certain activity is completed. Also, when I close the browser, the
course continues to run (you can hear the speech) for a while. Speaking of
the phone, I tested it on iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 - course crashes and phone
overheats.

Regarding the text - it changes in all slides, but we have the issue with
the text that is on a separate layer, the text on the base layer works fine
(it takes a longer time for it to appear though). The issue with text on
the separate layer is that the font which we use everywhere else just
changes into random characters - including Chinese characters. There is no
change in size.

Is there anything I misunderstood? Do we need to use a special app to run
the responsive courses? Just like Articulate Player?

As far as I understood, the course should run in a browser on any device -
could you please confirm that or explain if I got it wrong?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Petronela Gdovinova

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Petronela,

You understood correctly and the responsive player likely won't appear in the desktop browsers, but will appear as a part of a mobile device and it'll look a bit different. Here are two examples of that with one slide:

So that shows the same image/slide in a phone portrait and landscape mode, with the built in next/previous buttons and the menu/notes drop down. 

As for how the actual course is behaving, that isn't expected so we'd want to take a look at the .story file in question. Are you able to share a copy of the .story file here with us and a link to the hosting location? If so, than we'll be able to test it out on a few different devices well. You can upload the .story file here using the "add attachment" button at the bottom of the reply window. You'll need to visit the forum thread to upload it, as you cannot use email to respond and have the attachments uploaded. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.