Upgrading projects to SL 360

Dec 27, 2016

Upgrading .story projects from major updates such as Presenter to SL1 or SL1 to SL2 introduced errors in font-sizes and object alignments.  For this reason, we kept SL1 available and Presenter available to perform minor updates on customer courses.

Here we are again with SL 360 which performs irreversible updates to SL2 story projects.

We're looking for feedback on whether SL 360 does a flawless upgrade on older SL2 story projects. If it does introduce minor errors, we will need to keep SL2 available.

Sam

8 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hey there, Lewis.  Is there a specific formatting issue that we can help you with?  Did you run into some glitchy behavior in upgrading a file to Storyline 360 format?  If you haven't already, our support team is willing to work in a case with you!

We've had some issues reported to our QA team about upgraded project files, but if we can help you resolve the issue, or identify a known workaround, we'd love to try.  Thanks for contributing!

Lewis Berry

Hi, I will screen grab some examples of issues I have encountered. I'll also add more here.

I've noticed that generally the fonts seem to actually display and look different in 360 compared to Storyline 2. But specifically in my project, random letters just seem to be bold when they aren't and clearing formatting will not resolve the issue. Also some font colours appear bolder than others when another colour of the same size and font appears correctly side by side.

I've encountered issues with my drag and drops in that the snap to center function is shifting slightly and not allowing drag items to cover their drop targets fully in interactions, and when I attempt to resize the drop target, the text of my drag items blurs.

I also encountered problems with slides not resuming the saved state by showing the layer it was on, and only resuming from the base layer which is problematic and worked fine for me in the SL2 project. The purpose being that the layer showed the results and when returning I want the user to see their result rather than submit the interaction they have already submitted previously. 

I've noticed delays in jumping to slides, whereby you can see triggers happen on slides like visited states appearing early before returning to the slide, whereas in SL2 you couldn't see that the state had changed until the slide was revisited.

I have icons that have hover states that intentionally make the icon smaller to appear it is hovered over, but often when previewing I hover over an icon and the hover state doesn't register (I have to hover off and try again for it to work.)

I also have another hover state on a tabs slide and an odd glitch happens when you hover before the entrance animation has completed the size slightly changes by a pixel or two then resizes. This is so fast that I am unable to demonstrate it through pictures but it doesn't occur in Storyline 2.

Sorry for list, but this is very annoying as I have worked hard on the desired functionality of a project for months and have been told to publish it in 360 to make it responsive, however the smooth running of the course not so smooth at all and has some obvious glitches.

Crystal Horn

Hi again, Lewis.  Thanks for giving me the time to do some research and testing on these issues.  I'm going to break them down into what we're working on already, what I can help with, and what I wasn't able to reproduce:

• Fonts rendering incorrectly in the HTML5 output (including color shifting and general formatting) is on the radar of our QA team.  They're actively investigating those issues, so we'll be sure to update this discussion when we get some new information to share.
  • It sounds like the visited state is appearing earlier than you'd want when jumping to another slide in your course.  In HTML5, the state changes happen more rapidly than in Flash, which is why you are noticing the state change before the jump to the next slide in Storyline 360 (which previews in HTML5 and has the ability to publish to HTML5 output first/only).  The built-in states will change as soon as the conditions for them are met, so this behavior is "expected."

I worked with another person on this behavior and helped her come up with some workarounds.  Option A:  Instead of jumping to a slide, change the trigger to show a layer with that content.  A layer will show quick enough that you won't see the visited state change on the base layer first (assuming the base layer objects are hidden).  Option B:  Create a custom state for your object, and trigger the state change when returning to the slide (when timeline starts) based on the learner having clicked the object (keeping track with a variable), rather than when the object is initially clicked.  You can see more about those workarounds here in my Peek screencast that I had previously recorded.
  • I was not able to reproduce the drag and drop items shifting after a subsequent drop, the saved state not resuming upon revisiting a slide, the hover state issues (including with animation), or the marker text issue.  I might not have my test course set up the same way, however.  Would you be able to share your files, both the original Storyline 2 version and the 360 version, with our support team so that they can investigate?  We'd want to be able to isolate those issues and see if we can reproduce them on our end as well.

Thanks for working with us on these!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.