Using Storyline 360: Resuming an embedded video when the user left off

Jun 08, 2018

I embedded a MP4 video in Storyline 360 and when I complete the video, go to the next slide and then return to the video slide, the video starts all over again. Is  there a way when you go back to the video, it resumes from where the user left off?

26 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hey Nina,

It looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Would you be able to share your .story file for us to take a look at your setup and what you are seeing? If you cannot share here in the forums, you are welcome to share here privately.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Gareth!

Happy to lend a hand here. First, let me make sure I understand your setup.

• You have a slide that contains a MP4 video that is set to "Resume Saved State".
  • When the learner goes back to that slide, the video is stuck until the learner clicks or taps the video. Once the video begins playing again, it resumes where the learner left off.

Do it have it right? Also, are you using the most recent version of Storyline 360? To check, click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.17.16188.0 in the bottom-right corner. 

Nina Ferrise

I am still having this issue with embedding the MP4 into a storyline 360 4 slide course. It's a 10 min video and takes a long time to open when I select view this scene or project. It eventually opens and works the way it should. The issue is when I publish it for the Review tool, and I open the course, so when I click the slide that the MP4 is on, it freezes and won't open.

Mary Phillips

Hi, I was hoping to find a solution to this issue as I'm having the same trouble. I have a video that reverts back to the beginning when a learner exits. I'm using Storyline 360 and I've set the slide properties to "resume saved state", but it doesn't.  Ideas?

Ronny Dhariwal

Hi Team

I have set my Storyline 360 slide to 'resume saved data' and my player settings is set to 'Prompt to resume'. I also tried 'Always resume' but that did not work. Could you please let me know what I could have missed? I am happy to send the files via a secure link if needed?

Best Regards

Ronny

Becca Levan

Welcome to E-Learning Heroes, Ronny! 

Are you also having issues with an embedded video not resuming where the learner left off? We're happy to help troubleshoot! You can share your .story file privately with us here, and we'll delete it once testing is complete.

Looking forward to working with you 😀

Nina Ferrise

Hi,
Yes I would like to see the steps in doing this. Do you have a sample to share?

Thanks!
Nina

Nina Ferrise | Manager | Learning Experience Designer, Global Development Training
REGENERON |110 Allen Road, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920 |* (973) 650-9833
nina.ferrise@regeneron.com
[cid:image001.png@01D7C729.C0B7B350][signature

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Nina,

I see you're the original creator of this conversation some years ago, so let's see if I can clarify the expectations and behavior.

If you're still in your project and using the slide property setting when revisiting to:

• Resume saved state, the correct behavior would be:
    • If the video was fully played, it would not restart when returning to a slide.
    • If it was partially played, the video would resume from where it had stopped when the user left the slide.
  • Automatically decide, Storyline looks at the items on the slide and determines whether or not to resume.  
  • Reset to Initial state, the video will be set to start from the beginning as the rest of the slide will. 

If you exit the course entirely, Storyline will return to the slide you left off at, and resume from the beginning of that slide. 

If you're exiting the course, you can create an exit slide to hold the resume behavior on the video slide. Here's a quick gif example, link to published output, and I've attached my sample project.

It looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.