Web object not working

Mar 08, 2024

I have an project which uses a web object. The web object contains some html, CSS and JavaScript. When publishing to my local machine, it works well. However, I uploaded the project to AWS, and though the SL project runs, the web object cannot be found.

(At first I realized this was because my web object was still pointing to my local drive. So I uploaded the html/JS to AWS as well and hard-coded the path to its index.html into my web object. But this still does not work.)

With my web object now set to the AWS folder's index.html, this works fine when running from my local machine. But running from my phone still doesn't see it. I have tried three different browsers, all with the same results. 

I have triple-checked my web object's URL, and it does work when running from "Publish" in SL. What am I missing? Sample .story attached.

Thanks,

- Jim

(P.S. Usually when I look at existing Heroes posts under suggested content, I'm seeing posts OVER A DECADE OLD with the same issue and usually a suggestion to post it as a feature request. ??? What are you guys doing over there for our $100/month? Doesn't this embarrass you?)

3 Replies
Tom Kuhlmann

Hello Jim

I tested it in Review and Amazon S3 and it works for me. 

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/445683f3-91f2-4f3b-84b8-317e394f60b5/review 

https://articulate-heroes-authoring.s3.amazonaws.com/Tom/test/20240305/demo/story.html

I also tested it on my Google Pixel and it works.

You can try my link to see if you have the same issue. 

Others who know more about AWS or how you built your web object may have other ideas since it's outside the scope of Storyline.

I'd assume there's some sort of security or permissions issue. Since it's running from AWS, I'd connect with the community there and see if they have any ideas or help.

Jim Owen

Thanks for testing Tom. your links do work for me. So I uploaded that test project to my AWS console and it also tests fine. The real project has 6 slides, and I removed everything else for the example that we tested. Something I removed apparently break it. This makes no sense though, since the other slides are nothing special. Huh. More research I guess.