Image compression

Dec 17, 2021

When developing your course you always need to watch quality versus size of your images. One of the tools you have available to ensure its optimal is image compression. Just saving as PNG or JPG, and you will not achieve optimal results for all devices. Make sure you try to reduce the size in kb of your images as much as possible. Donot rely on Storyline compression for that as it is not optimal. You can do better with tools like TinyPNG ( https://tinypng.com/ ) It can compress images , both PNG or JPG with amazing quality to a really tiny size. 
If you check these samples...

tinyPNG samples
you immediately notice the difference in size between the normally ( in Photoshop ) saved .jpg and .png with the with the TinyPNG plugin exported png. From 147 Kb to 54 Kb... reduced to 33% in size. All my assets i export with TinyPNG. Quality is perfect, size is minimized.

4 Replies
Hianna Sabo

So, Math, could you disclose your workflow for producing or processing PNGs? Do you work on the image on Photoshop, save the file as a png, then import to TinyPNG? And do you always get crisp and clean edges? Does this work with SVGs to PNG files too?? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but when you get someone with a tried and true process, one has to ask 😉

Math Notermans

When in Photoshop, i always export using TinyPNG. Got it as plugin and works flawless. When i use Illustrator files i export as SVG. And now Storyline can use them. Ofcourse the latter is only recently, but SVG especially has a lot of possibilities with GSAP animation.. but thats another path.