9 Replies
Alexandros Anoyatis

Hi Eric,

I only tend to use this whenever a script is available but normal voice over is still in the works, just to get measurement of how long a slide will end up being, or if something sounds terribly off is the script that needs changing.

The truth is no text-to-speech software is really that great, especially for long scripts. Having said that, I see no problem using it for short sentences (such as for instructions or typical right/wrong feedback - although you can use SFX for this too).

The best I have found is Ivona and i-speech, but it's all a matter of preference.

Hope this helps,
Alex

Matthew Bibby

Not sure about PC, but if you have access to a Mac you can generate text to speech files from the terminal using the 'say' commandI agree with Alexandros that no text to speech voices are they great, however the range available in OS X certainly improved after Apple partnered with Nuance a few years ago.

I've also heard good things about Ivona, but haven't used them myself. I wonder if you could use their free mini player to read your script while you record your computer's audio using Audacity or similar? (Just double check it isn't against their terms of use).

Or, if you have a budget, get it done by a pro. While text to speech is improving rapidly, it is fatiguing when played over long periods of time as our brains get caught up in noticing how it isn't hearing a natural voice - which I'm guessing isn't conducive to learning.

Also, I think it is always good to ask, do we really need narration?

Bobbi Bailey

I have recently begun using Ivona TTS.  The Salli and Joey voices are decent, and with a little SSML, you can control things like pitch, speed, volume, pronuciation, etc.  (I have also purchased the Jennifer and Eric voices, but not as fond of them as they still sound a bit to "robotic" for my liking.)