Video editing software?

Dec 28, 2012

Hey Everyone,

I have a quick general question - Is there any good/free (or really cheap) video editing software available?   I am currently using Windows Movie Maker but when it publishes videos, it puts two big black bars on the side of the video causing it to look funny in Storyline.

Thanks,

Eric

12 Replies
Garry Hargreaves

Hi Eric,

I am using Adobe Premiere and After Effects, Educational copies as I not building commerical work - the full Adobe CS6 Suite about $95...If you change (meaning increase) the output video file resolution or change your output aspect ratio - you may see the bars dissappear.

Cheers

Garry

Shwetha Bhaskar

If you have access to an iPad, maybe any of the free or really cheap iPad video editing apps for basic editing? (iMovie is the first that comes to mind). One would probably need the iPad camera connection kit (about $29 on the app store) to transfer files between the iPad and the desktop/laptop, and maybe some kind of video encoder software, depending on the format required for the project (can find a basic one for free on the web). 

ben almeer

: VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms (98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista/7), licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).  It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video. 

Regard's,

Ben Almeer,

For More Info

Faye Woodley

Just an FYI - I also used/use Movie Maker to edit the video but did not like the black bars.  That said, after trying several other video tools (most of which were either too expensive, too complicated, or crashed my system) I went back to Movie Maker (free, easy).  

My work around for the black bars is to edit in MM, bring in the video, then using the Storyline editing tool I cropped out the black screen - works like a charm!

Kathleen Ortiz

Hello everyone.  I am attempting to use Windows Movie Maker to add video to Storyline 2, but when I "insert the file" the video doesn't show up as an option.  I also tried "insert flash," and the file shows up as an option there.  When it attempt to add it, however, (by selecting "all files") I receive the following error: .wlmp does not appear to be a supported video format. Please select a video from one of the supported formats.

Does anyone know the tricks to insert a Movie Maker video?

gever malc

There are some very good but free software packages available, look at OpenShot Video Editor. It is pretty powerful and has transitions and effects, multi-track, etc, all the things you would expect in a high quality video editing suite. It is open source so if you don't like it, you haven't spent anything and can simply un-install it. It's all up on what you want to do. For a simple video, Vegas is decent, but if you want to get into more effects, I'd go with Premiere Pro and After Effects. If you were thinking of going into movie making as a career, I'd go with Final Cut Pro.