Forum Discussion

AlisonDodge-0c4
Community Member
6 days ago

Best method for making small edits post-publish?

What's the best way to make small edits to a course after it has been published and loaded into the LMS? Typically, we republish the course, overwrite the SCORM package in our FTP and then our LMS picks up the edits. However, I don't like doing it this way because overwriting a scorm package feels a bit irreversible to me and it's not the most efficient process. It's also not a given that our LMS will pick up on the changes every time. 

I also don't love the idea of republishing a new version for small, simple edits, but I fear that may be the best option. 

• Thanks again, Jurgen! I actually am the LMS admin lol. When we reassign the new scorm package to the original course, it resets everyone who has completed that course previously completion status. We're working with Oracle LearnCenter, so I'm thinking the older nature of the product might be part of the issue. 

Jürgen_Schoene_
      Community Member

then i would ask oracle support - there should be a versioning, otherwise it would never be possible to correct e.g. typing errors in a course

• Makes sense. Once you republish the course with the edits, what is the best course of action? To overwrite the old scorm package with the new one in the ftp server?

Jürgen_Schoene_
      Community Member

it depends on the workflow on your LMS infrastructure 

I would always choose a new name for each Scorm package, e.g. with a version number and/or a modification date

then you or your LMS admin has to reassign the new Scorm package to the original course in the LMS

i would recommend to contact your LMS admin and ask him 

• for some special cases it is possible (but complicated) to modify an existing Storyline Scorm Package

• if you want to change the course title
    • if you want to change a slide title (not possible on text on the slide*)
    • if you want to overwrite an image with another image (same width/heigth)
    • if you want to overwrite a video with another video (same width/height/length)

in all other case you have to edit the .story and republish the course - unfortunately, all learners lose their resume status after this update

* storyline determines the exact x, y position of each individual letter during publishing and the web player needs this information