Forum Discussion

AlisonDodge-0c4
Community Member
2 months ago

Course not reflecting edits once loaded into LMS

Hello!

At present, when we have small edits to make on a course (typos, 'sentence-level changes', etc.) our process is to crate the changes, save, publish SCORM file, overwrite the old file with the new file in our FTP server. Then, the changes always roll over to our LMS. However, this time around I've followed the same process and am not seeing the changes reflected in our LMS. The changes do appear in the new SCORM story.html file. I'm not quite sure what is causing the changes to not reflect. Any help would be appreciated! 

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Alison, an LMS at its most basic is just a web server, and sometimes web servers dont always update content right away.

Even if they did in the past, there is never a guarantee that they will each time.

So my guess is that your content has uploaded fine, but the server just hasnt gotten around to serving the new version of the content.

It happens to me sometimes - and for some reason more on AWS servers and FTP sites than others?!

Usually waiting 12- 24 hrs will see the new content displayed right away.

P.S. if you want an immediate workaround; dont overwrite. Create a brand new URL by uploading the amended course to a new location on your FTP/LMS. That way, it should work straight away.

AlisonDodge-0c4
      Community Member

Thanks Andrew. After 48 hours I'm still not seeing the changes reflected. II'm trying to avoid republishing a new version in our LMS, but it seems that may need to happen. Is that what you're 'ps' is referring to? Typically when we republish the course in a new location, I have to create a whole new learning plan in our LMS and our user data is gone after that. 

• Sometimes the browser loads a cached version instead of a new one. Try a different browser or a new private or incognito page.

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Oh no Alison, sorry to hear that :(

Sounds like there is something going on inside your LMS. At a guess, I would start by checking your admin privileges are set up right and/or allocated disk space.

...and yeah, if you publish a brand new version, and don't overwrite an old course, then theoretically, the server should pick it up straight away and allow you access.

Good luck!!