Forum Discussion

PaolaMontoya
Community Member
14 hours ago

Embedded Vimeo Video Lag in Rise Course

Hey Team - We have a lots Vimeo Videos embedded in our Rise courses.  Lately, we've been seeing a big lag in the videos when we publish the course and upload it to our LMS.  I've had testers (in our LMS & Review 360) say that the video spins for a while and sometimes the only way to get it to work is if they forwarded the video a few seconds and click the play button again.  I wish I could say they are all large video files, but they're not.  Most of them are less than 2 minutes (5-10MB).  Any idea on how to fix this issue because it's affecting the flow of our courses.  Thanks! 

• Hi PaolaMontoya it is more likely to be the Vimeo service that is causing issues rather than the Storyline course. As the videos are embedded in Rise, Rise simply puts an iframe in the HTML page, and will direct to the external URL provided in the embed code. Any buffering + playback issues experienced is more likely the Vimeo service and/or your network bandwidth of where the courses are being accessed.

Having said all of that, there are a couple of things you can check. Using your browser, when you have the course open on a page with a Vimeo course, you can hit F12 on your browser to open the developer tools. Within the window that opens, is a Console and Network tab. It would be good to check the Console and note any errors that might relate to the video. And the Network tab can be viewed when you attempt to playback the video. It is possible you will see the request to the Vimeo network, and might even see the data downloading (slowly?) or failed requests to retrieve the video file.

Console tab
    Check under the Errors tab, and see if there are any video/vimeo related messages.

Network tab
    Under the Domain column, look for Vimeo. Any Status other than 200 may mean something is not right. You can also check the time to see how long it took to download, although I think Vimeo will split a video over several smaller files for streaming.