Forum Discussion

MASpencer
Community Member
9 days ago

Screenreader reading incorrect question choice text - even after alt text has been changed

Hi,

Whenever I create a quiz in a Storyline 360 course (or edit a quiz from a template course), I usually duplicate the question slides to speed up the question creation process so I don't have to reformat the slides every single time.

However, when I test the course with a JAWS screenreader, it often reads the OLD question choices text even after I've changed/updated both the question choices AND the corresponding accessibility text for each choice. 

This means I have to go back and rebuild each individual question slide from scratch so that the screenreader will read the choices properly, since it will only read the "original" question choices text.

If Articulate could address and correct this issue in the near future, it would save me entire days of re-work on future projects.

Thank you.

SamHill
    3 days ago

Hi MASpencer I have just tested your SampleQuiz.story file using JAWS 2024 could replicate your issue. The reason this is occurring is because the ALT text value does not match the option text values. When checking the options, ensure you are checking all of the option states.

See this short video: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/dz9h0sn1ax9atshksrfz5/Articulate-Storyline-360-64-bit-2024-09-17_07-34-41.mp4?rlkey=2qif3yusotefb1vqetnhpd93m&dl=0

• Hi MASpencer I have experienced this before, but it was the Alt Text field that had some how lost it's connection to the text in the field.

I know you mentioned you checked this, but just to double check, when you view the text in the Alternative text: field, is it greyed text or is it black text?

If it is greyed text, the connection is fine, and it's a more serious problem, but if black, it is possible the Alt Text is deviating from what is in the text field. To resolve this, I just select the text in the Alternative text field and delete it. This just resets the Alt Text and default the field back to using the text in the field.

MASpencer
      Community Member

Hi Sam,

When I created my sample course (see my reply to Kelly), I noticed that some choices are still read incorrectly even when the corrected Alt Text is gray.

• Hi MASpencer,

Thanks so much for reaching out about this and sharing these details with our team. I'd like to ask a couple of clarifying questions.

• Does this happen with all the question choices/alt text that have been changed or only some?
    • Have you tested a different screen reader to see if the issue persists?

If you're comfortable sharing your file with our team here or privately in a support case, I'd be happy to test it on my end. We'll delete it from our systems once troubleshooting is complete!

MASpencer
      Community Member

Hi Kelly,

I created a "Sample Quiz" course with four questions (see attached file). 

To answer your questions, I tested this course with both JAWS and Windows Narrator, and the same issues occurred.  This happens only with a few choices.

On Question 2, the third choice ("7") is incorrectly read as "This is also a wrong answer", which is the third choice from Question 1.

On Question 4, the third choice ("Tuesday") is incorrectly read as "This is an incorrect answer", which is the third choice from Question 3.  Additionally, the fourth choice ("Wednesday") is incorrectly read as "This is also a wrong answer", which is the fourth choice from Question 3.

Both JAWS and Narrator only read the correct text for these choices when: 1) the choice is selected/checked; and 2) when reviewing the quiz.  However, to prevent confusion and frustration, the user still needs to hear the correct choices before making a selection or reviewing the quiz.

SamHill
        Super Hero

Hi MASpencer I have just tested your SampleQuiz.story file using JAWS 2024 could replicate your issue. The reason this is occurring is because the ALT text value does not match the option text values. When checking the options, ensure you are checking all of the option states.

See this short video: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/dz9h0sn1ax9atshksrfz5/Articulate-Storyline-360-64-bit-2024-09-17_07-34-41.mp4?rlkey=2qif3yusotefb1vqetnhpd93m&dl=0