PLAY icon to start course in Review 360

Mar 25, 2019

I have one course that, rather than just starting up, the screen is grayed out and requires that I click a start icon. This PPT file was behaving a bit strangely when I got it, so I opened a new file and imported the slides. That fixed what was happening earlier, but this makes me worried that it's not solid yet?!

I'm posting this in Review 360, but I'm not certain it's a Review issue  or a Studio issue.

6 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Carrie!

Do you see this play button in Chrome? Also, does the course have audio or video that plays automatically on the first slide?

Recently, Chrome changed the way it handles media autoplay. Now in Chrome 70+, learners may see a play button when they launch a course with audio or video on the first slide. Just click the play button to start the course, and the media should play as expected.

Let me know if that's what you are seeing!

Carrie Eaton

Yup, I think that's it, Alyssa!

The course plays as soon as the button is clicked. But I'm concerned that learners may be thrown by this like I was since this is something new for them.

I'm going to try putting in a new opening screen with no audio and maybe a second delay....same graphics as screen 2, just no audio, and see if that solves this.

Thanks!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Carrie,

Chrome is looking for the learner to "click" something before the audio will play.

You may want to add a slide at the beginning of the course with a button that says, "Start Course." Then the audio should play normally on slide 2. 

Also, it's worth mentioning that Chrome uses indexing to remember when you've allowed audio to play on previous visits to the same site. After a while, learners won't see the gray play button because Chrome will know to autoplay media on that site.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.