Accessibility in Rise

Dec 01, 2016

Hi,

As mentioned on the website under FAQ for Rise "Are Rise courses compliant with accessibility guidelines?
Rise employs many modern web standards for accessibility, and additional accessibility improvements are in development."

Could you please specify in detail which of these are supported in current version:
WCAG AA, WAI-ARIA Labels, Section 508, DDA, Equality Act and Screen Reader Supports.

Thanks
Mayuresh

342 Replies
Erich Renken

I'll mention that I'm participating in a Storyline group dedicated to testing a new accessible player. So far, they've addressed a lot of the issues I've shared. It sounds like they're first addressing accessibility issues with the player and then they're going to address issues on the "stage" (inside the player). Like others, I'm cautiously optimistic. Wouldn't it be great if both Rise and Storyline were fully accessible?

Lisa Morgan

Hello! At my company, we want to create courses and ancillary resources for higher ed and K-12 in Rise. But in order to do that, we need to ensure that those resources will be WCAG 2.1 Level AA compliant--and of course that's not currently the case. Thanks for the features you've added so far; I hope that adding more accessibility features is a high priority for Articulate.

Mayuresh Saka

Its almost 3 years now I had posted accessibility support in Rise query.

Rise has been improved a lot till now. Many new features and templates make it more useful.Along with Storyline 360, it's been a really fast development tool I have worked on.

It would be really good if the plans shared by Articulate team to make Rise output comply with Accessibility standards should have some fixed timeline now.

Theodore Pengelley

Is there information about how the upcoming enforcement of new UK legislation on the requirement to meet WCAG 2.1 AA will impact the improvements of Rise's accessibility standards? 

https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/helping-people-to-use-your-service/making-your-service-accessible-an-introduction 

As we have Rise based modules available to the general public if we are not able to meet WCAG guidelines this will have big implications for your e-Learning provision.

Sarah Bezanson

Question relevant to this thread for planning purposes. Is the intent with the update to automate features or flag to attention anything in an existing course that needs to be updated to align with AA standard or will it be incumbent on each Rise user/author to go through all material to seek and rebuild those pieces?

Just want to be thoughtful about this as the year moves on so we aren't building to have to rebuild from scratch for things that will have more accessible options pending.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Kristopher,

I'm really sorry I don't have any details or timelines to share right now, but we promise to keep you updated as we know more.

The update I shared previously in this discussion is the latest information:

Quick update about Rise 360 accessibility! While we can't share more specifics on timing and the order of features yet, our end goal is to get Rise 360 output WCAG 2.1 compliant by the end of 2020.

To help us get it right, we've hired Deque, a leader in digital accessibility, to perform a 3rd party audit for Rise 360 so we have an accurate and comprehensive list of items to tackle. We've also dedicated developers to own accessibility on Rise 360 long term.

As we have more details and updates, we will most certainly share here with all of you!

Tuire Suihkonen
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Morton,

Screen reader support is coming to Rise 360, but it's not ready just yet. I don't have specific dates to share, but our end goal is to get Rise 360 output WCAG 2.1 compliant by the end of 2020. As we have more details and updates, we'll pass along that information to you!

Hello from Finland!  

We need to change the course language <html lang="en"> to fin or sv. If the language is en, screen readers try to read Finnish as if it was English and that doesn't work. Language should be something we'd be able to change in course settings along with colors etc.

We tried to change the course package language after exporting it into html, but there is something in the Rise script that prevents the language change afterwards. 

Any ideas of workarounds before there is full accessibility in any language? Thank you! 

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Tuire!

Rise 360 doesn't have full screen reader support just yet, but we're working on it! If you use a screen reader on a Rise 360 course now, you may find that it doesn't perform well. 

We don't have a public list of accessibility improvements coming to Rise 360, but we'll share as much as we can as new information is available!