Allow Forward Seaking - can the user scrub a video once the recording has been viewed?

Dec 06, 2023

I have activated the Allow Forward Seeking option on my videos in Rise to ensure that all users watch each recording at least for the first time. However, once a completion for a particular module/lesson is fully obtained, can the recording be scrubbed forward to jump to a scene for additional reviews later?

5 Replies
Angelo Cruz

Hi Jay! If you wish for your users to completely watch the video/recording the first time, do not tick the Allow Forward Seeking option. Doing this will prevent users from being able to scrub the seek bar and skip or fast-forward the video.

Instead, add a Continue block after the video/recording and set the completion type to Complete Block Directly Above.

Using a Continue block with this completion type will prevent your users from scrubbing the video/recording. Once they have completely watched the video, the Continue button will appear. After that, they will be able to scrub through the video should they wish to review or watch it again.

Jay Mistry

Thanks for the tip. I have set up the block as described and re-scrubbing the video during the same session works as described. However if you review the video after completing the entire course and view at a later date- scrubbing through is not possible and finding that the previous completion is not taken into account

Kelly Auner

Hi, Jay!

I'm glad that tip could help you out!

I see what you're saying about viewing the video at a later date. I'm curious to learn are you testing this out in preview mode or when published?

Also, just a quick note that replying via email includes your signature here so you are welcome to edit the post and remove that information if you wish!

Jay Mistry

Hey Kelly - I was testing in published mode. I load my scorm package to Workday LMS and it showed as completed and later when I want to revisit the module, this is when I’m finding the videos have to be re-scrub fully and on a future review I’d expect to use the seeking functionality- maybe an overall limitation from rise itself or something that is contributed from Workday?

Luciana Piazza

Hi Jay, 

Thanks so much for clarifying what you've tried so far. 

I'm curious to know if you've tested out your course in SCORM Cloud. This is a great way to see if the behavior is isolated to your LMS in Workday.

Just in case you haven't had the chance to test it out, here are instructions: 

It looks like part of your email signature still came through when you replied via email. No worries! You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Looking forward to hearing from you! 🎉