Articulate Rise not saving progress for learners

Jul 10, 2019

Hello Articulate Community! 

I am working on publishing a number of course using Rise to our LMS (Moodle) and am hoping to improve the experience from my last set of courses. In my last courses - I am now receiving quite a bit of feedback that users are struggling with their courses saving their progress. 

The feedback I have received is as follows: 

User enters course - completes entire training, during the training check marks on left hand side menu appear and then disappear or never appear at all, even though the user has progressed through the entire section. Users have had to go back multiple times to recomplete sections that they had previously completed in order for the course to be marked complete ( a mandatory requirement to complete the course exam and finish the course).

I saw a few older posts about this topic but it didn't appear that there was much resolution. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? The courses I am working on have very high numbers in terms of completions (in the 1000's) so I am hoping to provide them with a better experience this time around.

23 Replies
Mish Allan

Hi Crystal and Nicole,

Are either of you able to share the outcome of this case? Were there any changes that helped ensure progress tracking is saved? I posted a similar thread over a year ago:
https://community.articulate.com/discussions/rise-360/rise-progress-not-saving-in-moodle-lms

Cheers,
Mish

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Mish. The first step in troubleshooting we took was to compare how the course behaved in SCORM Cloud. I'm not sure if the issue is resolved on Nicole's end.

This article gives a comprehensive breakdown of how each SCORM standard handles reporting success and completion.

Are you having issues with learners resuming your course where they left off? Or are they finding that when they complete a course, it is not registering as complete in the LMS?

Mish Allan

We aren't really looking at completion as we're only using Rise to deliver learning content rather than assessment. The problem we had sounds the same as Nicole's – students go in, complete a number of pages (which are ticked off in the side menu), leave, and then when they come back the course doesn't remember the last page they were on and the previously complete pages are no longer ticked off.

Crystal Horn

Thanks for clarifying, Mish. As long as students are logged into Moodle with their credentials, their courses should resume when they revisit them. This article dives deeply on the mechanics of getting a course to resume.

You can enable debug mode on a course and test it in Moodle to see if the resume data is flowing properly. We're always happy to help if you want to work one-on-one, too!

Nicole Brady

Hi Crystal, 

Sorry it took me a little while to respond on here. I have been on vacation. 

The issue is not resolved on my side. I have uploaded my content to SCORM cloud and tested. The problem is that there is no consistency in being able to reproduce the error. The error has not been corrected but it doesn't seem like there is any way to fix it. 

Essentially I was told that if it worked in SCORM cloud it wasn't a Rise issue. We use Moodle as our LMS and I have posted commented on their discussion forums and have found others who have the same issue but there doesn't seem to be anyone with any solutions. 

Super frustrating because I'm not sure where else to turn for help. The fact that I can't reproduce the error is the most problematic part. However, I consistently have users reporting the issue. 

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful! What LMS system are you using? 

Jim Muirhead
Nicole Brady

The fact that I can't reproduce the error is the most problematic part. However, I consistently have users reporting the issue. 

Hi

Just to advise that we have experienced this issue for months too, and with no consistency or logic as to why and to whom progress is not recorded. 

We have some very long courses and it is understandably incredibly frustrating for users to return to a course to discover they have to start again. I first thought it was user error but I have seen it happen - live, with my own eyes. It happens when a user either closes the window or clicks the Exit link at the top. We've tried it with activities and without activities. We've tried different SCORM exports. Sometimes it will, sometimes it wont. 

We have some major clients and potentially 5k+ users completing our courses, and whilst we want to use Rise the PR risk this may bring is potentially huge. I really hope Articulate are reading this and endeavouring to do something about it, because all I get when contacting support is 'it works in SCORM cloud; it must be Moodle'. That's no longer good enough.

#rant-over

I'll ask our IT team to look into the debug options above and it might be time to work 1-2-1 with your team too.

Please help your loyal paying customers get this crippling issue fixed asap.

Thank you.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Jim. We're here for you! I see you reached out to our team in July for a slightly different issue (updating your Rise 360 course in Moodle). We can have a look at this resume data issue as well. Using debug mode allows us to see the communication between the course and the LMS so we can be sure your output is sending the proper messages.

Start the conversation with our support engineers here, and we'll help with next steps. Also, if a suggestion doesn't work, just reply back and let us know!

Nicole Brady
Jim Muirhead
Nicole Brady

The fact that I can't reproduce the error is the most problematic part. However, I consistently have users reporting the issue. 

Hi

Just to advise that we have experienced this issue for months too, and with no consistency or logic as to why and to whom progress is not recorded. 

We have some very long courses and it is understandably incredibly frustrating for users to return to a course to discover they have to start again. I first thought it was user error but I have seen it happen - live, with my own eyes. It happens when a user either closes the window or clicks the Exit link at the top. We've tried it with activities and without activities. We've tried different SCORM exports. Sometimes it will, sometimes it wont. 

We have some major clients and potentially 5k+ users completing our courses, and whilst we want to use Rise the PR risk this may bring is potentially huge. I really hope Articulate are reading this and endeavouring to do something about it, because all I get when contacting support is 'it works in SCORM cloud; it must be Moodle'. That's no longer good enough.

#rant-over

I'll ask our IT team to look into the debug options above and it might be time to work 1-2-1 with your team too.

Please help your loyal paying customers get this crippling issue fixed asap.

Thank you.

Hi Jim - were you ever able to get a resolution? We are still experiencing this issue. 

Nicole

Tanya Corlett

Hi, I came across this the other week when I was looking at browsers and LMSs for a different reason.

'Google has announced changes to the browser, beginning with Chrome 80. As of this version, expected in February 2020, synchronous XHR will be disallowed during page dismissal when the page is being navigated away from or closed by the user. (In other words, when a learner closes a course by closing the browser window, or by going to a new page, some of the background commands that might previously have been used to send final scores to your LMS will no longer be enabled in the browser.) This involves the following events (when fired on the path of page dismissal): beforeunload and unload.'

Is it possible that the behaviours that people (course not appearing completed) are experiencing is hooked into their browser or browser settings or something like that, that is associated not with Articulate, nor SCORM correctness in the hands of the developer, but in the users' system or in an individual's particular browser configuration.

I am raising this as we've had some weird stuff with users on our platform (Litmos/SAP) that we eventually tracked down to the configuration of the user's browser, in some cases due to security settings put in place to protect the organisation.

We also had some weird stuff, this time with video conferencing person-to-person where notionally identical device configurations worked differently with different callers, some being able to use voice and some not. Again, we tracked the problems down to different security settings buried in the dark recesses of users' browsers.

Long shot I know, but is it, possibly, a browser issue?

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Thank you, Stan, for sharing. We're having a look at this behavior, and we've seen that making this adjustment in Chrome 83 has helped in some LMS environments:

1. Open Chrome browser
2. Go to chrome://flags/#allow-sync-xhr-in-page-dismissal
3. Change the drop-down selection from "Default" or "Disabled" to "Enabled"

We'll let you know if we are able to make changes to Rise 360 output that would help.

Crystal Horn

Hi everyone. Thank you for giving us some time to explore this issue.

Chrome has deprecated a technology that was used by many LMSs to allow a course to communicate back to the LMS when the course window is closed. If your LMS hasn't upgraded their system, or if you're using an older version of your LMS that doesn't include an update to address this change, the course cannot communicate progress or completion properly. This causes learners to start over from the beginning instead of resuming a course or recording completion after they close the browser window.

Please reach out to your LMS and find out if they have released an update to address the Chrome changes. If you need support from us with the technical details, please let us know by starting a case with us here.

Deian Gueorguiev

Hello,

I just opened a support ticket (#02659609) because we had a similar issue. I want to post here for anyone for whom progress with a Rise course is not tracked correctly in their LMS.

After much debugging we found that the course works as expected in SCORM Cloud but did not save learner progress in our LMS. So after much debugging of logs and comparing between SCORM cloud and our own LMS, it was found that the Rise course tries to auto-detect the standard of communication. Even if we selected SCORM 1.2 during exporting process in Rise 360, this variable in the file  scormdriver/scormdriver.js was set to AUTO :

var strLMSStandard='AUTO';

What happens is the course first checks if the standard AICC is supported by the LMS. If not, checks for SCORM 2004 and finally defaults to SCORM 1.2.  Because our LMS supports AICC, the Rise course starts to use this old standard but with the following side effect : it does not save the progress after a learner exits and comes back to their course. To fix it we manually changed the scormdriver.js to make it SCORM :

var strLMSStandard='SCORM';

After making this change the learner progress was always saved on course exit because the standard of communication was forced to SCORM 1.2.

I just want to emphasize this: because a Rise course works on SCORM Cloud does not necessarily mean your LMS is the problem! Sometimes it is a combination of factors that make it work on SCORM Cloud but not in your LMS.

Hope this helped someone

Crystal Horn

Hey everybody! I'm happy to let you know that we released an update to Rise 360 that sets the value of the variable strLMSStandard to the format selected when you export your course for LMS. This change should help LMSs identify which API to use when communicating with your Rise 360 content.

Let me know if you have any other trouble with your LMS exports!

Stephanie Harnett

Hey there. A client of mine is having the same issues. I exported courses in the past week and feedback is coming in that progress isn't being retained. I looked at the scormdriver/scormdriver.js file and noted that var strLMSStandard='AUTO'; is present in the file. There is only one occurrence of this statement. I will change this to SCORM and retest with the client, but wanted to mention it here.