Asset Names Too Long for LMS

Jan 08, 2024

I need some advice on addressing this issue:  I cannot load my Rise content into our LMS - the course asset file names generated when published are too long and create an error.  Attached is a snip of several examples (these are from the published Rise zip course file - not file names I created).  Help!

6 Replies
Steven Benassi

Hi Sandra!

I just wanted to pop in and share that your voice has been added to the feature report being tracked to allow the shortening of file names in published output. We'll be sure to update this discussion if it makes it onto our Feature Roadmap.

In the meantime, I'll open the floor to our helpful community who may be able to offer insight or suggestions!

Stew Souders

Hello Everyone:

Thank you for the input; I greatly appreciate it!  Yes, the mentions of the other conversations/posts were very helpful.  A coworker guided me to a solution via E-Learning Heroes' comments.  Here is what worked -

1. I renamed the mp4 and associated vtt files within my local course asset folder (My Articulate Projects).
  2. When 'renaming,' I removed all spaces and shortened them.  See below.
    • (OLD) Trimmed - Captions - Demo - Manual Wheelchair Tie-Downs To Secure Wheelchair During Transport 
    • (NEW) TrimmedCaptions-ManualWheelchairTie-Downs
  3. Loaded these 'new' files into the Rise course (removing/deleting the original content within the Rise).
  4. Published and loaded within our LMS - worked great!

Seemingly, the file names I originally created were handy for me and my desktop, but once uploaded within Rise -- script was added to the file names and blank spaces created a huge mess.

Eric Santos

Hello Stew!

Thanks so much for sharing that removing the whitespaces from the asset names did the trick for you; good job discovering this solution with your coworker! This is a big help for our community members who have the same issue!

If you need help with anything else, please let us know here in the E-Learning Heroes Community or privately in a support case. We'll be happy to assist you!