Can a Rise presentation be downloaded to a USB drive?

Dec 08, 2016

I'm going to a remote area with no internet service but I'd like to use Rise in my presentation. 

14 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Dylan, 

Rise courses can be exported for hosting on a web server or LMS, but offline viewing isn't currently supported. I know it's been a question a few other users have asked about since we release Rise, but it's not yet on the roadmap as far as I've heard. We'll keep you posted if that changes, and if it's something you're looking to see you can also share your thoughts in the form of a feature request. 

Hey Dylan, 

Just got done having a conversation with our Engineering team. They mentioned that our Export to Web only (No LMS) output would work if you weren't connected to the internet and/or just playing it locally. We're getting the documentation on this updated, but in they mean time here's what you'll want to do:

1. Export the Rise content for Web
  2. Unzip the zip file and look for the index.html file 
  3. Run the index.html file and it'll open in your default browser

One caveat to this, if you've embedded web content (a YouTube video for example) we don't have a way to show that when offline. So if you have the ability to download that type of content and upload it directly into your Rise course, that will be accessible when you run it offline. If you're still connected to the internet and just viewing the content locally (versus hosting in your web server) the embedded content would work. 

Hope that helps! 

Hi Davor, 

Glad to hear that worked out for  you! As for offline Rise courses on a mobile devices, there isn't a way to load the course into the local storage of the device. But it seems that I was able to share the link to my device and open it while I had wifi. Once I turned it to airplane mode, I could continue to navigate the course, but certain things like images or videos wouldn't appear in the content. Also, this was just web based, so there was no LMS tracking and that would need an active internet connection on you mobile device to communicate back to the LMS.

I'm not sure if the ability to access it offline while on a mobile device is something on our roadmap, but I've shared the question here with our Dev team ( a few of them helped test it too to confirm!) so we'll keep you posted on any updates! 

Davor Jozic

I've figure out how Rise works offline on an android device. I've emailed the zip file to the Android device (Samsung galaxy Tab S) running on Android v6.0.1.

From the email I extracted the file and it saved in the Download folder on the device. From there it looks the same as on a computer and the index.html file opened up in the internet browser while in airplane mode. All of the text, font, images and interactions worked as if I was online. Obviously; it doesn't update as a web version.

I've also been able to create a shortcut file of the index.html file to the home screen and rename it. Icon doesn't look pretty but it works.

I'm sure there are multiple ways to get the file onto the device but email seemed to work the fastest for me.

Haven't been able to figure out how to get it to work on an Apple device as they don't save files in the same folder format.

Hi Michele,

Are you trying to follow the same steps that Davor shared, or are you hosting your content on an LMS or web server that isn't working? The steps that Davor shared aren't something I can help with - but you could always use the "contact me" button on a ELH users' profile to reach out to them directly! 

Let me know if you need anything else!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.