creating branching by linking other rise courses from within an opening rise course

Dec 04, 2023

I have a fairly complex branching scenario that I'd like to use Rise to build out. I would have an organizer that will be speaking with an employee. At a certain point, they will say something that elicits a possibility of three responses from the employee. Each response will have a separate branching scenario that ultimately leads to a final outcome. As I understand Rise, the person taking the course is the one that has to decide how they're going to respond and then the programmer sets up the recipients response. Could I give the person taking the course three choices or how they think the recipient would respond and have their choice link to another rise branching scenario? I don't know if this is making much sense. I'm trying not to have to build this in Storyline if at all possible. I'm attaching a twee and a couple screen shots which show the flow. Hopefully someone can help me figure out the best way to build this. I know how I'd do it in Storyline, just not in Rise.

Thanks.

Guy

5 Replies
Tom Kuhlmann

Ideally, because it's more custom and uses adaptive branching, I recommend Storyline. Rise is great for the assembly of content and has limited branching capabilities.

• If you are going to use Rise, you can leverage the scenario blocks, and create multiple scenes you can jump to. There is some nuance in validating the selection and hitting a continue button to jump to a new scene. But with that in mind, you can jump all over.
  • Button stacks can jump from lesson to lesson, thus you can build the scenario as a sequence of lessons and the button stacks become the choice mechanism that branches to the lesson. If you use this, you need to probably disable the menu so people don't see the structure.
Judy Nollet

Depending on the content needed, a scenario block could contain its own branching. For example one response to a given question could lead to a scene with a different character, while another response to the same question could continue the "dialogue" with the original character. 

These posts might help clarify what I'm talking about and, perhaps, spark some ideas: 

Tom Kuhlmann

Thanks for sharing the examples. The scenario block works, but you have to deal with a validating response and the continue button since it doesn't go from selection to new scene with the click. 

I did something similar and used three characters in the scene below. I created an HR guide scene to be my connection to segue.

https://rise.articulate.com/share/RIGSW3oqaCuGXBYidry_XsbLNXn72cUi

I also used a blank screen to represent the guide's feedback, but that feedback actually sits in a different character's scene.

Here's a copy of the file you can bring into your Rise if you want to see how it's constructed.