Embedded videos - sometimes automatically play and sometimes you have to hit the start arrow?

Jan 15, 2020

Hello!  We have just created our first Rise 360 course and we totally love this tool!!!  We are still getting used to how everything works and have a question about the inconsistent behavior for embedded videos.  Sometimes in preview they automatically start playing when the learner progresses to that lesson.  Sometimes the learner has to click the start arrow on the video for it to start playing.  Can you please let us know why we are seeing inconsistent behavior and how to rectify?  The one learner that experienced the automatic start was on her laptop without Articulate 360 installed.  We had just emailed her the link for the new training course.  Thank you so much for any help!!

3 Replies
Valerie Saboe

Hi Alyssa,  OK I clicked on the link and opened a case and put in the share link.  Can you take a look?  What is the behavior supposed to be?  When our team previewed it through Articulate 360 the videos did not start automatically.  We had to click the start arrow on each one.  However, when we sent the link to our manager, the videos automatically started playing on her computer without her having to click on the start arrow.  The videos were created in Storyline 360 and saved, then uploaded to Rise 360.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.  Thank you again so very much for your help!!  We are trying to get this thing published by Friday and we didn't expect this gotcha at the zero hour.  Thanks again!!  :-) 

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for sending it over, Valerie! I see that the media files you were referring to are actually within Storyline Blocks. You'll see the play button if there is audio or video on the first slide of the Storyline block. Learners just need to click the play button to start the slides, and the video will play as expected. This is expected behavior since Chrome requires a "click" to allow autoplay of media. 

The good news is, you may stop seeing the play button as Chrome learns that you allowed audio or video to play on previous visits to the same site. When that happens, the media will play automatically.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.