Error when importing XLF file for Course translation

Aug 04, 2020

Dear Rise Crew,

We asked for the translation of a huge amount of our courses made in Rise. We followed the process to export xlf file for course translation.

Now the translation agency has send us back the xlf file to be imported back into Rise but I got an error when I tried to import it to my duplicated course.

Please find enclosed the xlf file I am trying to use. The file itself looks not corrupted. I have no idea why it´s not working.

Regards
Mathilde

29 Replies
Jane Townsley

I am experiencing exactly the same problem, the translator has tried many different XLIFF file types, Swordfish and Smartcat being just two. Every time I try to import the translated files it appears to upload, then starts processing then says 'Import failed'. I have also tried uploading a translated file to the labels section, then I get the following message: 'An internal server error occurred'

Please help I am getting desperate, my course is required for a pre-read prior to a workshop I am running on 28th October!!

Rikard Westman

I'm having the same problem (my coordinator opened a case). Would be happy for a description, here in the forum, of what seems to cause this problem. Have you noticed any certain ways to fix this on "our" or "your" side? Would be happy to understand why this problem seems to happen for many of us - what went wrong? Would want to avoid it in the future. Thanks! /R

Lea Agato

Hi Rikard, thanks for letting us know that you’ve opened a case. I looked for it to get details of what’s happening with your issue, but I couldn’t find a case under your name. Please share the reference number here so that we can check in on your case. I can also share more info about this once I've had a look! 

Jane Townsley

I have to say I was disappointed with the response from Articulate support, it was quite slow and my issue was urgent, I also could not gain access to any support over the weekend, and of course they work within US times which is not helpful for their international customers. I did get a helpful support guy trying to get things sorted for me late into Friday evening (UK time), but I really needed to speak to a human being not go back and forth by email. It also didn't resolve my issue and it was only because he had stated he used Smartcat translating tool that I decided on the Monday morning to sign up for a free account. 

Within 30 minutes of signing up I received a telephone call to see if I needed any help getting started..the person calling was in the US and I am in the UK. I explained the issue I was having with Rise and he stated that Smartcat have ensured their software is compatible with some of the nuances of Articulate software. He was the one who sorted the files for me and once I knew Smartcat was designed to work well with Articulate, Rise etc I got my translator to create his own (free) account with Smartcat. Everything has worked perfectly since and we are able to share the files via the Smartcat account rather than via email.

I just wish Articulate support had made it clear that Smartcat is a good tool to use with their systems it would have saved both me and my translator a lot of time!!

Interesting that the customer service and support provided by Smartcat was excellent and my account with them is free, yet I pay quite a bit to have an articulate account. I do hope Articulate improve their availability of support for customers outside the US!!

Hope this helps

Rikard Westman

Today I got to know this:

"If your course contains empty lessons or blocks, the import will fail. So you'll want to delete any empty blocks/lessons. And if you do, you'll need to re-download the translation file from Rise, run the translation again, then import the translated file to Rise to complete the translation."

This seems "easy to fix" but cost us money and time due to another contact with the translator. - an "external supplier" to our client . It means that we need to order another file from their translator? 

Many would be helped if you add information about "make sure there are no empty blocks in courses to be translated" and "do not change anything in the course copy after exporting xlf in Rise for translation". This info is needed before the first xliff export from the "specific course copy" in Rise.

Regards,

/R

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Glenn! Did you duplicate the course, export the XLIFF from the duplicate, then import the translated XLIFF back into the duplicate? 

You'll want to be sure you export the XLIFF and import the translated version back into the same course. You can read more about the steps for translating a course here.