font default color in RISE

Jan 13, 2020

Is there anyway to change the default color from the "grey black" to "dark black"? I find the grey/black doesn't show enough contrast. I know I can change it manually, but I'd rather change the default so I don't have to do it on each page. Thanks

18 Replies
Jeff Forrer

+1 on this, I have clients that request a specific color for all fonts, especially in Quiz files.  I have to manually copy paste the color code for every question, alt, and feedback for every question.  The theme font color does not apply unfortunately.  It would be great if it could!  Thank you.

Carol Davis

At 40 I had excellent vision, but now, not so much. For example, it's a bit of a challenge for me to read lots of text in the font color that you use in this post below: Reply   Quote   Report   etc. 

I am manually changing my entire course. Wish I would have thought of this earlier. 

On the wish list???

Ambre Quinn

I actually prefer the current default -- it's actually a common recommendation for UI design not to use pure black -- here's just one article talking about visual design best practices that includes this item.

What I'd really like as the enhancement is the ability to set a course-wide default text color. That way I can use what I want, and folks who want to use higher contrast can do so too. But lacking that option, please DON'T change default to pure black...

https://www.adhamdannaway.com/blog/ui-design/16-ui-design-rules
14. Avoid pure black text

For UI design, it’s generally safest to avoid pure black, as it has a very high contrast against white. This high contrast can cause eye strain and fatigue when reading text.

Black has 0% colour brightness and white has 100% colour brightness. The large difference in colour brightness causes our eyes to work harder. It’s safest to avoid pure black against white and opt for a dark grey instead.

In our example, pure black is used on multiple elements. Changing it to a dark grey helps to improve readability. Previously when looking at visual hierarchy, we noted that the property description text was too prominent. To make sure interface elements are presented in order of importance, we use a lighter grey for the property description text to decrease its prominence.