Formatting font in Rise

Dec 15, 2016

Hi....  I am loving the functionality of Rise and its simplicity to use; however, the formatting of the font is quite challenging when adding additional 'layers' to blocks.  E.g. I added more quotes to the carousel and the fonts changed and I was unable to apply fonts consistently across all quotes.  In this and other features I have selected italics and/or bold formatting that is not showing as being applied and the fonts change with the new additions????  I cannot work out how to make these changes to ensure consistency of font selection and formatting....  please advise :)

26 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kerry,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Rise functionality, but let's figure out the formatting issues you've run into! What browser are you currently using to author your Rise courses? You'll want to ensure you're using one of the supported browsers documented here:

Have you set it to a particular font from within the Theme settings and seeing that change on your lessons within Rise? It may help with troubleshooting if you're able to record a quick Peek video of what you're seeing and share it here with us. 

Kerry Rasmussen

Hi Ashley

Thank you for the Browser tip.... this has assisted in using the bold & italics formatting function successfully; however, I am still stuck with how to alter the font (I have not adjusted anything, as I do not know how, but only used the block as it is presented)....  please show me how to use the Theme settings as I do not know where to locate them :(

Oh perfect - happy to hear the browser tip helped! And sorry I didn't include a video the first time- considering Peek is one of my favorite tools, I'm always happy to record a quick one. :)

I did a little walk through of how to change the Theme fonts and you'll see it update in that "Preview" set up and then once you save it'll be applied to your course. If you're seeing the fonts change though while you're adding content in, that's something I'd want to gather a bit more information about, as it's certainly not what I'd expect. If you were trying to author within Internet Explorer or another non-supported browser that could have been part of the font oddities too. So let me know if you're still seeing the same thing in a new browser. 

Hi Kerry,

It's not a setting within Rise or Articulate 360 to determine a default browser, but it's something you could set on your own machine or browser. For example everytime I open anything in Safari it asks if I want to use that as my default browser, but I'm a Chrome girl through and through. :) 

It sounds fonts are working again properly if you're authoring in Chrome? You should be able to view the content in IE, just not author the content there. If you're still having difficulty, perhaps a few steps you went through in terms of starting the blocks and adding content would help me replicate the oddities of fonts changing. 

Kerry Rasmussen

Hi Ashley

My images are just ones I have sourced from Google Images... I've attached a few for you; however, I was wondering if, once the image is uploaded, is there a way of configuring it then?

Following is the URL for the course itself.... the below images come from the 'Billing' section of the course. https://rise.articulate.com/share/Reu6r1WdbIJzwhHe 

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for sharing those images here with us. I'd recommend sourcing images using the highest quality image possible and then let Rise optimize them for web delivery, and you can see a really good examples of this within our Best Practices article. 

As far as sizing them, you could look at conducting that outside of Rise, as there currently isn't a setting to format the images within Rise. If you are looking to scale the image to appear larger keep in mind, that would impact the overall quality of the image as well. 

Hi Clive,

I saw you also reached out over here  as well, so I just wanted to link to that discussion as well. For anyone else following along here, in the short term you can expect to see font colors and size options, and you're welcome to share your thoughts on other elements by sending along a feature request! 

Beverly Stokes

The Text in my opening Introduction paragraph is in Bold and I can't change it as the B doesn't appear for this para only in the menu bar.  Also why I'm not able to change the size of the font.

In addition, can you recommend the best - most stable font size for exporting programs worldwide? I am developing six programs that will include all media, video, podcasts, and a monthly webinar.  Thanks, Beverly Stokes

Leslie McKerchie

Hey Beverly,

What did you choose to add that Introduction paragraph into your course? Is it a Paragraph with Heading perhaps? I know you cannot remove the Bold formatting from that section.

You can hover over to identify the block you may have used:

The font size should be able to be changed:

Let me know what you're seeing and I'd be happy to take another look.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Beverly! 

When you say you're trying to edit the text in the "opening introduction paragraph", are you referring to the text directly below the course title on the main menu page? If so, you should be able to highlight that text and adjust the formatting and size. 

As for font size recommendations, I'll leave that in the hands of our community!

Beverly Stokes

Yes I was able to adjust the formatting the bold para.

However when I hover over the icons it doesn’t show the font size above each one but just the description of what it is like i for italics and B for bold etc. but not the font size. I am on a Mac so not sure if that makes a difference.

I would also like to know what font size is recommended for the paragraphs and font style. Is it best to go with the two that are offered in Rise?

Thanks,

Beverly Stokes
beverlystokes@amazingbabiesmoving.com

Ramona Jones

Hello,

I really like Rise, but seem to be having a lot of issues with text displaying correctly. I'm using Chrome as my development browser and the Lato font for both headings and body. It's a light gray font that displays well enough except when used in flashcards, quiz responses, and image markers.  Is there a better font to use that displays well in all uses or is there something weird going on with how font's and images display in these blocks? 

Also, it would be nice to have the ability to change the font on the fly as with all the other text editing options, especially in this case where it looks like fonts may have switched on me.

Thank you for a solution.

Teresa Vanderpost

I know this is an old post, but the title applies to my question, so figured don't need to start a new thread.  I am finally after years diving into RISE for the first time...The font default for captions under images is 12, which in my opinion is not accessible.  I wanted to set my default caption size to 16 it looks much clearer.  I went into customize theme to the fonts section, but the only thing you can default is the name of the font.  It would be nice to customize your font size for headings, text, captions...thoughts?  Can it be done and I just missed it?  I am adding a lot of images and just feels like a pain to change font size every time.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.