Has Anyone Run Rise Courses on HighSpot?

Jul 22, 2020

Does anyone have experience running Rise courses on HighSpot? The courses, mostly, work fine. The only two things that don't work properly are Storyline interaction blocks within the Rise course and videos. The Storyline blocks don't always load properly (slow and glitchy) and the videos don't always play. I've been told it's because the Storyline blocks are within iFrames . . . and that's the cause of the issues. If that's true, what are my options: just not include video and Storyline? They would be pretty drab courses if that's the case. Any insights you can provide would be great. Thanks!

5 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for asking, Kevin!

I don't have experience with HighSpot myself — does that platform accept SCORM output files? 

If so, a great first step is to test with SCORM Cloud. If the course works properly on SCORM Cloud, it's a good indication that the issue is related to HighSpot.

We're happy to help you! Click here to privately share your output files, and we can tell you what we think. We delete everything when we're done troubleshooting.

Kevin Pierce

Hi Alyssa,

I uploaded my ZIP file as a case, as you suggested. Here's some more clarification. Sorry, I didn't provide it earlier:

I published my Rise course for "Web", hosted it on my MicroSoft Azure site, and learners had access through HighSpot (which is an application that runs on SalesForce).

Usually, the Rise courses run fine for learners on HighSpot. There's no tracking, obviously because it's not published as a SCORM package and hosted on an LMS.

However, somewhere there's an interoperability problem between HighSpot, Azure and Articulate. Media assets (such as mp4 videos) and interactive elements (such as Storyline blocks) do not always display and play. I often have to make design compromises and experiment with these assets to make them work.

I know you've got no control over the HighSpot and Azure side of the equation, but have you heard of similar interoperability issues with displaying media (videos and Storyline elements in particular)?

Initially, HighSpot said the cause was Articulate's use of iFrames, which they claimed their system was not compatible with. That was until I pointed out that there were other elements within the Rise course that use iFrames and work fine. And that their site uses iFrames. So, I think that might have been just a smoke screen.

Maybe my case is very atypical, but any insight you have from similar cases would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

--Kevin

Crystal Horn

Thanks for the details, Kevin. It's possible that if the output is opening inside of HighSpot's interface rather than in a browser window that the media elements are being blocked. If there's an option to allow learners to launch the content in a new window or tab, that's worth trying. Otherwise, I'll defer to folks in the community to chime in on their experience with those integrations.

Kevin Pierce

Hi Crystal,

I tested both of those options (open within HighSpot vs. open in separate window) and the results were unfortunately the same: video was visible, but not playable.

IT folks at HighSpot had some insight, though, which I think is the root cause of this issue: their platform does not work well with "nested iFrames". I unpacked the file that Rise publishes, and indeed found that the Rise courses with videos that worked were ones in which the videos were located in the root directory, and the Rise courses with videos that didn't work were ones in which the videos were "nested" within directories and sub-directories.

This whole "nesting" business was in a workaround in my design. In attempting to get around the 5 Mb video limit that Rise imposes, (and my lack of a private video streaming site like Wistia), I embedded my videos in Storyline blocks. This worked great in an LMS, but obviously didn't work in HighSpot, because putting the videos in Storyline "nested" them too deeply within the published file's directories for the platform to access.

I think we can mark this mystery solved, and lessons learned:

* Workarounds work . . . just not on all platforms

* "Nested" media can cause issues. It's not Articulate's fault, and it's not HighSpot's fault. It is what it is.

* Ultimately, I need a private video streaming site to eliminate the need to embed videos in my courses. It's a much cheaper alternative than working with the HighSpot platform to code a workaround on their side

Thanks for all your insight!

--Kevin

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.