Interactive video in Rise?

Feb 06, 2022

Is there a way to upload an interactive video in Rise.  One where we ask the learner to click on a specific spot in the video in order to continue the video?  As I try it now, as a video, if we click on the video it stops it and wont start until you click it again.

I built the video in Camtasia if you are wondering.

thanks
7 Replies
Tom Kuhlmann

Video generally isn't interactive outside of the basic start/stop controls. 

If you add custom interactivity, then that usually involves some sort of additional code that goes with the video. I assume that the interactive video you created in Camtasia has the .mp4 video in addition to an output folder which holds all of the interactive instruction. 

You need to place that on a server and grab the URL and you can embed that in Rise with the embed block using an iframe.

Another option is to insert the MP4 into a Storyline slide and make the interaction there and then insert as a Storyline block. That removes having to host the Camtasia video somewhere.

Michele Valkov

Hi Tom,  

Has anyone successfully achieved full interactivity using a Camtasia in Rise?

I work on a Mac, so I have to use a Virtual Desktop to use Storyline.   The application doesn't function properly when I import videos due to all of the remote server issues.   Due to this disappointing limitation, I need to find a work around.  With Camtasia, you have to house the file on their server or somewhere else.  I just didn't know how to make it work in Rise.  It's unfortunate because you can build some really nice interactions in Storyline, but it's too problematic.  I've already checked with your terrific support team and they agree that playback and video is a big issue if you are forced to create on a Virtual Desktop.  If you have any guides for how to take a Camtasia file or things to watch out for, I'd really appreciate it.

Angelo Cruz

Hi Nicole! As Tom mentioned, videos are generally not interactive.

With that said, there currently isn't an option in Rise to create graded questions within a video. However, we'd like to hear more about this idea. If you're up for it, I'd suggest submitting a feature request to our product team detailing the use case for a graded quiz within a video.

Let me know if you need anything else.