Learner's progress lost when re-uploading new version of SCORM to existing course on LMS

Jan 05, 2023

Hello,

Right now I have courses from Rise 360 exported as SCORM packages and hosted on our LMS. Normally, as users go through the courses they would see their progress and be able to resume where they left off.

The problem is that the content in some of our courses will have to be updated every few months, ranging from small to big changes made in each Rise 360 course, then exported as new versions of the same SCORM packages, and re-uploaded to their existing LMS courses. Am I understanding correctly that with every re-upload of a new version, the learner's progress logged in the course will be lost? If this is the case then it'll be a critical user experience issue for us.

Is there a way or a workaround we can implement that will allow this progress data to be retained for each learner ID and ideally also to let learners resume the course where they left off? I looked at the "Reset Learner Progress" option since it was listed as a resume setting/feature in one article, but this doesn't seem to be what I need.

This is quite urgent, so I would really appreciate any information and support on this!

10 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi Sunatthacha Singhara,

It depends on your LMS.

Our LMS allows us to:

1. Replace the existing course and keep student progress data intact
  2. Replace the existing course, but treat it as a new version that all students need to retake. This option deleted previous student data.

Note that if you change the structure of the course by adding or deleting Lessons (Rise definition of Lessons), the course always needs to be treated as option 2 as the previous student suspend data cannot be loaded to a course with a different structure.