Limitations of the Rise Scenario Block for Building Branching Scenarios
I just thought that I'd jot down a little commentary on my experience in using Rise 360 for building branching scenarios.
I worked with clinical subject matter experts to plan, map out and test medical consultation training scenarios. We made a lot of use of the Twine tool for design and prototyping.
It was then time to make the scenarios far more presentable and appealing to medical trainees and I was very happy to learn that Rise had a ready-made Scenario block that I could use for branching scenarios. I have developed e-learning in Storyline and I wasn't very keen on building branching scenarios and the associated behind-the-scene measures in Storyline from ground up. (Some of you may have keyed in on the last part of the previous sentence and you may even be thinking: "Rise? Variables? Oh oh...!". That's the beauty of hindsight!)
I attended training webinars on Rise and then sat down to represent one of the easier medical scenarios using that beautiful tool. Below, I have listed the brick walls I subsequently ran into after hours of exploration. I would love for feedback from you that says "You are doing it wrong! It IS possible! This is how you do that …!"
1. I needed characters to represent patients with appropriate expressions of pain, confusion, relief, querying, etc. Unfortunately, the Rise scenario block gives me access to only a limited subset of the characters available in Storyline. These available characters are adults in work suits, medical scrubs and workman’s gear. Which is a bit of a downer when I need to represent an 80 year old or a 10 year old patient! The youngest character available in the Rise scenario block looks at least 19 years old so it’s a bit of a believability stretch to use her in paediatric scenarios! (And the "negative" and "stressed" expressions on any of the characters just look like the character has received a paper cut or is stuck on a particularly difficult crossword clue).
2. Even if I used one of the working age adult characters as a patient, Rise insists on showing their full body – wearing their work suit, casual outfit or doctor’s apparel, etc. This is quite limiting when I need to represent patients who normally wear hospital gowns in wards rather than building construction gear. There is no option to show just the head and shoulders – which may have helped somewhat as even the oldest Rise characters are dressed as if they have just stepped out of a board meeting.
3. I can understand the reluctance to have photographic child characters in the Articulate content library, but why are there no illustrated child characters? Such pondering was irrelevant as I found that the Rise scenario block does not permit me to use ANY illustrated characters in any case!
4. OK, forget the Rise characters – I thought that I could work around the above limitations by using my own pictures of patients (from my organisation’s set of stock images) as uploaded replacements for the Rise Scenario background. Alas – the background image in Rise scenario blocks is BLURRED! And I can't hide nor delete the mandatory chippy chirpy happy Rise character in their work outfit in any case.
5. The 200 character limit to the scenario text and feedback, and 150 character limit to available responses. OK, I understand that those limits are probably to do with making Rise Scenarios automatically mobile-friendly. But … if I mention one drug name and a medical condition in a response then there's suddenly no more room for the rest of my sentence! I feel that such text limitations should be lifted when a particular e-learning course is not intended for use on mobile devices.
6. No apparent means of implementing variables. This is the biggest show-stopper for me regarding using the Rise Scenario block (and probably Rise itself) for implementing branching scenarios. I need to track and measure the time, cost and patient care management factors resulting from a clinician's decision-making as they traverse the scenario. These are vital to scoring and feedback.
I guess the above issues mean I will have to forget Rise and instead use Storyline (or competing product: Smartbuilder) to build my branching scenarios. That's not a rhetorical statement - I would like to be contradicted! We did all of the hard work in designing, mapping and testing our branching scenarios and had hoped that implementation would be the easiest phase!