Maximum Amount of Content in a Rise Course

Aug 16, 2018

We have some courses that have considerable video content along with other metadata and course information.  In addition there are several quizzes in some of these that are lengthy.  

I was hoping someone with Articulate might point me to where the maximum file sizes are for a SCORM export.  I also intend to ask our LMS vendor what the maximum SCORM file size can be.

Thanks,

Tom

19 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hey Tom! 

Welcome to the E-Learning Heroes community! We're glad you're here. 😀 

It's great to hear that you're getting started with Rise and building courses! Rise doesn't have a size limit, so you can keep adding to your heart's content!

You may want to ask your LMS team if there is an upload limit for the final product that you'll export from Rise. For example, if you're using the free trial of SCORM Cloud they have a cap at 100MB.

Let me know if you've run into any issues with course playback or uploading somewhere. I'm happy to test out any of your Share links too and let you know how they play back on my end!   

ASAM Education

We decided to use Vimeo to store the video as the file sizes were over 1GB and I did not want to run the risk of having file size limitations that can often plague the learner experience.  The only issue is not being able to keep the Continue button locked until they finish watching the video completely.  Wondering if this is something that you all are looking at for the future.  I could always use Storyline and add some triggers and variables and publish that and insert as a content block, but I'm trying to avoid this extra work.  Any advice there on the roadmap front would be helpful.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Thomas,

Smart idea to host the videos in Vimeo! And as you mentioned, now you're facing the challenge of ensuring learners are actually watching that video content.

I'll let our team know you have a need for restricting embedded video content that's hosted on the web. In the meantime, have a look at these articles that might help you boost your learners' attention to the course.  I can appreciate that it's important (and often mandatory) for learners to absorb video content from start to finish, and these resources can help with that!

Thanks again for reaching out!

Marc Koenecke

I have a support ticket in at the moment because I cannot export my 10 to 15 lesson courses atm.  There are audio recordings in the courses (readings for larger sections of text), embedded video clips (vimeo) and a mix of block components.  

A short test course will export but my other courses just sit on the "we'll email you when it's done" screen for hours - I left a browser window open to see if time would make a difference and it doesn't.  I've used Edge and Chrome my goto browser, tried at work and at home, taken components out of a duplicate of the course and removed the audio blocks. Nothing works.

I'm a little panicked which is why I went looking for SCORM file size issues - if there aren't any issues with processing files (mine will be way under 100MB) I'm stumped.

My case number is Case #01521685.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Lionel, we're here to help! It looks like Angelo has already reached out to you requesting that you send a copy of your course to him. As soon as he receives the course, he can test it and send you some next steps. I know you want to get this sorted out as soon as possible, so we'll do all we can to make that happen!

ASAM Education

Alyssa,

I'm all for a non-restricted navigation; however, with these courses we have some regulatory issues that require the learners to watch the entire video; therefore, that is not an option, so kindly pursue some sort of connection between the Vimeo service and the Continue button and we will have a WWCD.  :)

What I'm having to do (and mind you I have 13 of these total) is go to Storyline360, add two slides.  The first slide has a web  object with the Vimeo Embed code inside of it as follows:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/292182884?autoplay=1" width="720" height="405" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="1" mozallowfullscreen="1" allowfullscreen="1"></iframe>

I then have to change the state of the Next button to disabled when the timeline starts, then enable it when the timeline = the number of video seconds.  I also added a trigger to auto go to the next slide when the timeline is finished.  The second slide simply says "Section Complete" with a graphic.  Do you know a better way to achieve this?

I am having a couple of issues with this at the moment:

1. When I publish this to Articulate 360, the full screen works; however, when I pull that Storyline Block into my Rise course, the full screen is not there.  I can share the Rise link with you through a private email or message along with the PW.
  2. The ?autoplay=1 is not autoplaying the embedded "Online Video" from Storyline360.

Can you help?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Thomas, 

Once you embed a Storyline course into Rise, the Storyline piece will be inside the Rise frame and therefore won't display at a full-screen view. 

Also, Rise doesn't have autoplay on media, so that sounds like the second issue you've run into. I know a few other folks have requested it as a feature idea, so feel free to share your thoughts as well with our product team. 

ASAM Education

The Storyline slide has a web object embedded in it with the iframe code that allows full screen for Vimeo.  The auto play is a Vimeo setting and should work on the iframe embed if Rise is respecting the iframe embed code similar to other discussions I've read.  Can you verify?  

Also is there any Vimeo native integration planned on Articulate's part to require video completion to be considered complete?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Thomas,

We currently have a feature request that we are tracking specific to wanting to maintain the full-screen option on videos embedded in Storyline Blocks. I'm adding this conversation so that we can update you here when we have additional information to share.

We recently had a similar conversation with another community member here if you would like to take a look.

ASAM Education

Are there any plans to add functionality that would allow us to embed Vimeo videos, then use the Rise Divider "Continue" button to require the user complete the embedded Vimeo video block above in order to Continue (or maybe a parameter that allows us to add X minutes/seconds to pass inside of rise before the Continue button appears?

Steven Zeller

Hello:

My organization uses SumTotal for our LMS. We've been building courses in Rise for the better part of a year now and haven't had many glitches getting them to play well with SumTotal. However, I have one course that I'm unable to successfully upload. I thought the course might be too large, as it has a number of hefty video files (the entire course is 364,482 KB), but we've successfully uploaded other courses that are similar in size. I'm a bit confounded and would be grateful for any guidance that you might be able to provide.

Thanks so much,

Steven

Steven Zeller

Hi Karl. Thank you for the prompt response. I just get a message from the LMS that the upload failed. It doesn't provide much more than that (please see the attached image). I don't have any special characters in the name and the name isn't larger than we typically use. Any other thoughts?

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Steven! Sorry to hear that your upload to your LMS failed. Would you be able to test your file in SCORM Cloud to check if the behavior is the same? SCORM Cloud is an industry-standard testing engine that's free and supports AICC, SCORM, Tin Can API (xAPI), and cmi5 content.

This video tutorial demonstrates how to use SCORM Cloud with Articulate content.

If your course works properly in SCORM Cloud but not in your LMS, kindly share your SCORM Cloud findings with SumTotal LMS  to troubleshoot the issue. 

If your course behaves the same in SCORM Cloud and SumTotal LMS,  please open a case with us here.
Steven Zeller

Hi Hazel:

I tried to upload the file to SCORM Cloud, but the file is too large under their free subscription service. They say "File size cannot be greater than 100MB for trial accounts." Any idea if there's another free service that might take a larger file? I could request a paid account, but by the time all of that paperwork is done, it could take weeks. ;) 

Thank you,

-Steven