NEW in Rise: Export for Translation

Jun 13, 2018

If you need to create courses in multiple languages, you’re going to love this new Rise feature. It allows you to export your course text to an XLIFF file* and then reimport it once it’s been translated. Like magic: all your text is replaced by the translated text. It’s that easy!

NEW in Rise: Export for Translation
*XLIFF files are a translation industry standard, so if you’re working with professional translators, then you shouldn’t have any issues. But what if the translations are being done by a fellow coworker or friend? No problem! If you do a quick Google search, you’ll find a ton of free tools that allow you to easily edit XLIFF files.

183 Replies
Athletics Canada

Your team uses it, that doesn't make it standard. Wikipedia explains what it is if you are a tech person. None of the professional translators I've sent it to have known what to do with it. It used to be possible to do it via word file. I don't know why this feature can't just be continued. It's not great of Rise to tell clients what we need...instead they should listen to our requests. Lots of people in the discussion asking for a different option...

Tiffany Shogren

@Athletics Canada - I think there is a difference between professional translation companies and the professionals they employ that translate the content. It appears you may contact individuals directly rather than working with an organization. There are perks to using a company that stores your translation memory (TMX) and doesn't charge you for it in the future when text and/or phrases are repeated. I'm not negating your pain point; however, XLIFF is standard when working with translation tools (technology) rather than an individual.

Richard Sikes

Hello Athletics Canada,

XLIFF is _absolutely_ a standard, and it has been around for a number of years. It is widely used and supported by all the mainstream CAT tools.  If the translators that you use are not familiar with it, then you're using the wrong translators!

If you contact me directly, I can connect you with qualified freelancers or agencies who are familiar with XLIFF. 

Best regards from Toronto,
Richard Sikes
Head of Business Services, memoQ

Thor Melicher

@Adam,

I'm going to take a guess here, but it sounds like you're trying to translate by hand instead of using a CAT tool as discussed in this thread. 

So you know, you can do it by hand, but it is quite difficult as you have to add a new section after each <source> </source> section and start it with <target> and end it with </target>.  Inside of the <target> section, you will copy the <source> section word for word and then translate the words.

If I'm guessing wrong, you may want to search here in the Articulate forums for the CAT software you are using or go to the vendor's forums to see what guidance they provide for working with Rise 360 XLIFF files.

Christopher Santos

Hi Adam,

Thor is right; it might be possible to open the translation file and manually do the translation if that is what you mean when you said you compiled the content.  You'll need to be familiar with the tags involved, and each lesson within the course will comprise a <file> tag that will contain the <source> and <target> tags for each block.

It's also possible that nothing has changed with the file you are trying to upload back into Rise, which is why you are not seeing anything getting updated even if the import is successful.

We want to check out what is happening with your translation process, though.  For privacy and security, can you contact our support team with a copy of the exported XLIFF file and the XLIFF file you are trying to import?  We'll response right away as soon as we receive your case.

Thor Melicher

It sounds like it is trying to open the XLIFF file automatically.  You can associate the .XLFF or .XLF file type to open with a text-based editor like TextEdit.

1. Open the folder where the file was saved to.
  2. Right click and choose, Get Info.
  3. Click Open With...
  4. Choose the application (TextEdit) you want to use to view the XLIFF file.

This should prevent the error you're seeing.  After you solve for that, you'll then have to choose how you want to have the file translated.