New verion of Articulate Rise results in Scorms not being read as completed.

May 10, 2023

Hi
We have been running a course for a year and since the recent update in Articulate Rise360 the SCORMs are no longer being read as complete in our Moodle LMS.  This is a course in 14 languages with 10k students, so any work around is painful. 

We have republished the SCORMs which doesn't help. The publish settings we have used for the last year are:

LMS 1.2
Tracking  using course completion: 80%

Reporting: Passed/incomplete

Exit course link: on.

I contacted customer support and got told that we should hire a consultant!  Really shocking advice. 

Anyone have a solution. 

13 Replies
Polly Watt

Before.  We noticed the problem and our Moodle Admin said the problem is from the SCORM, please republish, so I did.  Nothing changed.

It still works in our original courses that are run in 10 languages, and updated for each cohort, so in courses using the original content that has been duplicated since the update it is still working.  It's only showing in the last 4 languages where the SCORMs have been published since the update.

Polly Watt
I’ve run various tests now on the versions. 

Any SCORMs edited, saved and published and added to Moodle LMS since the Articulate update don’t show as complete.

Any SCORMS created, saved and published and added to Moodle prior to the Articulate update still show as complete.  

Any SCORMs created and saved prior to the Articulate update but published since the Articulate update using passed/incomplete don’t complete.
Stephanie Case

I am having this same problem with a course I've recently published out of Rise. The course is sending the quiz score but when it fails and the course needs to be retaken, the course is not resetting - it's stuck on the last screen where the Exit button is located. It sounds like I should open a ticket with Articulate for the issue.

Micah Weedman

I think the answer you're likely to get is that it's an LMS issue; Rise itself isn't going to "re-set" the course for the learner. As I understand it, once the user completes the quiz, pass or fail, Rise can only report the completion results to the LMS. At that point, Rise is done. It's up to the LMS to determine whether or not it will "reset" the course.

If this is correct, this actually makes sense because from an LMS perspective, "resetting" is actually a type of re-enrollment. Rise—and any SCORM package that reports completion based on quiz results—can't manage enrollments.

IIRC, our solution was to duplicate the course, and if a learner failed the course, we enrolled them in the new "remediated" version of the course. Our LMS did not allow a setting that "reset" the course if the user failed the quiz.

Micah Weedman

If you had the course in SL, of course, this could be different, because you would just program the quiz to restart (not reset) the course if if the quiz failed and then complete the course if the quiz passed. *Maybe* there's a way to build a SL block that could mimic this in Rise.

Stephanie Case

It's weird, though, that all the same settings in Storyline and Rise in the LMS resources aren't working the same. It's only the Rise courses that are not "restarting" with the EXACT same settings. I've seen in other threads that this has cropped up a few times with Rise courses. I'm not sure it's not totally a Rise issue because the course isn't working correctly in SCORM Cloud, either, which I would expect if the SCORM settings are being read correctly from the published files. I'm at a loss at the moment and don't know that I have time to create a SL block to use as the Exit option - I'm on a tight project schedule right now. LOL Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Christopher Santos

Hi Stephanie,

As a note, Rise will always resume at the last page you closed out of.  So if the last page is the Quiz Results, you will resume here if you return back to your course.  

Since you have set your retries to unlimited, you should see a Take Again button on that Quiz Results page.  Your learners will need to click on this to retake the quiz again.  Is nothing happening when they click on this?

As Micah also mentioned, you can try testing out your post-update course in SCORM Cloud.  Check out this article if you haven't tried using SCORM Cloud for testing.

Stephanie Case

Hi Christopher,

I have realized that this is standard functionality with Rise courses so I have made the quiz "required to pass" to continue and complete the course. It's not the ideal solution for our learners but it will work. I understand that Rise has been made easier for more people to use but there are quite a few features that would be nice to have (similar to Storyline - like being able to pick a Success/Failure path if the quiz passes/fails and other functions). 

Thank you for the response. I appreciate the guidance.