Poor Video Resolution in Rise

Sep 14, 2018

I'm experiencing some poor video resolution in Rise. Original video files have much better resolution than when they're played back in Rise.  What frame sizes correspond to the small, medium, and full width video display options in Rise?  I'd like to render my videos to these dimensions.  Any other suggestions for improving video resolution in Rise?

Pinned Reply
Crystal Horn

Hi folks! We have a new, helpful tip for maintaining high resolution video quality in your lessons:

If you'd like a video to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Just add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your video file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it.

* Keep in mind, using this method bypasses transcoding and compression, so learners may encounter issues with playback across different devices. File size limits still apply.

For more media best practices, check out this article!

42 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi again Jamie!

Looks like I just responded to a similar question here, but that was in the Storyline forum, so I'll share my response here:

Rise courses are fully responsive, and they will adapt to screens and orientation.

We recommend using high-quality videos with a 16:9 aspect ratio for the best results in your published courses. You can read more about that here and here.

If you need us to take a look at a video file, please feel free to share.

wbt external

Hi Leslie,

I know this topic is a bit old, but we experience the same issue mentioned above.

I was wondering if there is anything we could do so our video has the same resolution in Rise than it has in the original (which has exactly the quality that is recommended).  

I checked the links you attached above and also searched in the forum but couldn't find any solution.

Our content is a bit confidential so I cannot upload a screenshot here.

Your help is very much appreciated :)

Annie Louden

Hi Crystal,

I did submit a ticket and attached the video. The answer I just got back from support was a link to the best practices article. I wrote back: 

I've read the article. It doesn't help me. I've met your aspect ratio and file size.

It says you compress the videos while maintaining quality, but clearly that isn't the case if the video is blurry.

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Annie. I checked in on your case, and when our team tested your MP4 file, we saw the same blurriness that you are seeing. We did some digging and found that this is a known issue in Rise 360. 

I'm really sorry we don't have a solution for you right now, but as soon as we have an update on this problem, we'll let you know. 

Désirée  Jochem

Just pitching in to say that I'm experiencing the same problem.

We like to use video in Rise to showcase the software programs we use in our company. However, many of these programs come with very small text, so even a slight drop in video quality really hurts.

Yes, I read your tips on working with video - I am working with a 16:9 resolution and the right codecs.

My original file looks fine, so the culprit has to be the Rise video compression. I understand that in general it makes sense to compress the video, but please offer the option to disable video compression like you do in Storyline. It 

Buck Bard

I too am experiencing a drop in quality, and it's pretty disappointing. It's a bad assumption that your customers cannot manage video resolutions and quality. To just make a blanket assumption like that, and one that obviously impacts the quality of our work for our customers, seems like a very poor decision. Set a size, resolution, or bitrate limits, or just ask us in a setting if we want to minimize the size of our projects. All that is reasonable. To reduce the quality of my work to save yourself some cheap disk space is not.

Alin Andronache

Hi everybody.

Here is a quick step-by-step for avoiding video compression and quality loss in Rise:

Step 1: Upload your video in Rise using the multimedia feature

Step 2: Export the SCORM package

Step 3: Unzip de exported SCORM package

Step 4: Go to scormcontent / assets and replace the video exported from Rise with the original video (uncompressed). It is essential to rename the video with the exact same title as the video exported from Rise. It will not play otherwise.

Step 5: Re-zip the package

Andy Houghton

Are you using video files eg .mp4 files or embedding videos. Embedding IMHO is the way to go as it enable what's called adaptive streaming - how YouTube works. 

Scroll down to "Embedding videos in an authoring tool (Storyline)" and then there are some videos about adaptive streaming and advantages of embedding videos.

https://whatyouneedtoknow.co.uk/embedding-videos/