Referencing a single storyline file across multiple rise courses

Feb 01, 2021

I have developed a series of 4 courses in Rise that should be completed sequentially. Each course has a quiz. In addition, I would like each course to have an "apply what you've learned activity" where users are able to freely type into text boxes. Ideally, the text they input into the activity in course 1 will link to the text they input into the activity in course 2 (e.g. some of it will already be filled out based on their prior text entries), and so on for courses 3 and 4.

Since there is not a block in Rise that allows for text entry like this, I have built out this activity series in Storyline, but still haven't figured out how to weave the Storyline portion into the Rise courses, due to the following issues/questions. 

1. Limited data exporting from Rise: In an ideal world, I would simply add a storyline block to each course for the activity. However, as I understand, right now I can only export data on either a quiz or storyline block for each course (these are the options that show up when I export the Rise course as a Tin Can or SCORM file for my LMS). Is this correct? Since I need the information about how learners do on the quiz as well as what they type into the storyline block, this won't work for me.

2. Referencing a single storyline file across multiple Rise courses. Is this possible? What I am thinking is that I could insert a storyline block into each of my courses and link to the Storyline activity I made (I could upload the storyline file as a separate course on our LMS). But since I want the activities to link across each course, I need to be sure that the data that a learner inputs in course 1 will show up when they click on the activity in courses 2, 3 and 4.

If anyone has any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much, 

Lauren

6 Replies
Kate Ansbro Laya

Hi Alyssa, 

Thanks for the follow up here. As I haven't gotten any responses from the community I'd appreciate the chance to discuss further with you or someone else from Articulate directly. I submitted a ticket a while back but didn't get a response, so just resubmitted. Figuring out a solution to this is really important for our curriculum.

Thanks so much, 

Lauren

Math Notermans

The solution to this is sending and receiving data from and to Google Sheets. As you can see in the Feature Request Overview System i made here : "https://community.articulate.com/discussions/building-better-courses/feature-requests-overview-and-voting-system" you can use Storyline to read and write data to anything. Being databases or Google Sheets. The sample shown: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/5a4ac47f-cd5a-45d5-aa97-85bfd22024b8/review reads and writes data from Google Sheets. In fact even by clicking the rows of the 'requests' you immediately add +1 to a request.

As this works on Review, it will also work for Rise. So this way you can ask students questions at the end of course 1. And then in course 2 continue with the sent answers.

Biggest issue to troubleshoot is on the student ID and or name of the student. You have to get that back from your LMS and pass it as value back to Google Sheets so when starting the next course Rise knows what student is in the course and shows their previously filled answers.

Can this be made ? Yes.

Kate Ansbro Laya

Hi Math,

Thank you for the follow up! I also received a response from your colleague
Vevette (cc'd here) and it seems the two of you have somewhat different
perspectives/guidance on the issue. So I wanted to bring the two of you
together here.

First, let me share a few follow up questions to your response, Math *(below
in red).* Then, I have copied the text of Vevette's response to me and my
follow up questions to her *(below in purple)* so that we are all
discussing together. *Frankly I think a call may be the best way to get to
the bottom of how to solve this. If that is something we could coordinate I
would greatly appreciate it!*

*Math's Response:*

Reply to Referencing a single storyline file across multiple rise courses

*Math Notermans replied:*

The solution to this is sending and receiving data from and to Google
Sheets. As you can see in the Feature Request Overview System i made here :
"
https://community.articulate.com/discussions/building-better-courses/feature-requests-overview-and-voting-system"
you
can use Storyline to read and write data to anything. Being databases or
Google Sheets. The sample shown:
https://360.articulate.com/review/content/5a4ac47f-cd5a-45d5-aa97-85bfd22024b8/review
reads
and writes data from Google Sheets. In fact even by clicking the rows of
the 'requests' you immediately add +1 to a request.

As this works on Review, it will also work for Rise. So this way you can
ask students questions at the end of course 1. And then in course 2
continue with the sent answers.

Biggest issue to troubleshoot is on the student ID and or name of the
student. You have to get that back from your LMS and pass it as value back
to Google Sheets so when starting the next course Rise knows what student
is in the course and shows their previously filled answers.

Can i make this...yes i can ;-)

*Okay, great that this can be done! But I'm still not sure how to link the
individual text-input fields in my storyline course to a google sheet.
Could you walk me through specifically how to do that? *

*And noted that the biggest issue is ensuring that the LMS is able to refer
back to the google sheet with the same student ID so that that student's
prior responses show up every time they re-access the storyline course. On
this note - Vevette had mentioned that **"**Storyline courses in Rise 360
always start over from the beginning when learners revisit them". **I'm
wondering if I don't insert the Storyline course as a block into a rise
course, then can I avoid this problem with the always restarting bit? If I
instead just export the Storyline course directly as a Tin Can File will
that solve this restarting issue?*

Next, below is Vevette's email and my responses to her:

Kate Ansbro Laya

Got it - thanks a lot, Math! I really appreciate your help on this. I'm
going to explore linking to a google sheet using Javascript and am also
working with one of the Articulate support staff right now on another
approach and will let you know if I'm able to resolve the issue.

Thanks!