New in Rise 360: Enhanced Block Settings and Block Contrast Controls

Sep 19, 2023

Get ready to do even more with the block settings menu—that little menu that appears when you hover over a block. You can still move, duplicate, or delete your block and edit block content, but now you can also adjust the design and apply new contrast settings!

Move, Duplicate, Delete, and Design!

Block Settings Menu

Eagle-eyed Rise 360 users will notice a new design icon that looks like a painter's palette on the right-hand side toolbar. Click that to open the all-new format and background tabs.

Similar to the previous format tab, the new format tab has options such as padding and color selection for block items, such as button colors. But now, instead of having to guess how many pixels you need between blocks, you can quickly apply small, medium, or large padding options. If you speak pixels, that's cool, too. You can still dial in exact pixel-widths by clicking the more icon.

Heading example

The background tab is where you can make your content really stand out. Select an option here to fill all the white space around your block content with your color of choice. It's like course theme header background colors—but at the individual block level.

Background typesIn addition to standard light and dark options, you can add your theme color (or a lighter tint of it) as well as a custom color or an image.

Constant Contrast

When you apply a custom color background, you also get access to block-level contrast options: Auto, Light, and Dark. 

With Auto selected, text and graphic elements conform to an accessible 4.5:1 ratio. Even if you select a different color, text and graphic elements change from light to dark as needed to preserve contrast. And if you don't want your content elements changing automatically, you can select Light or Dark.

Overlay

We've got contrast on the brain when it comes to image backgrounds as well. When you select an image background, you can now adjust the overlay just like you can on a course cover photo). This option makes your background image lighter or darker by adjusting its opacity by percentage. Your content will really pop! 

If you’re an Articulate 360 subscriber, you can access this new feature immediately in Rise 360. And if you don’t have Articulate 360 but want to try out this feature, you can start a free 30-day trial. For more detailed information about this feature, check out our user guide: Rise 360: Enhanced Block Settings.

We're excited to bring you even more options for customizing your content. Let us know if this hits the mark—or if we can do even more to make your content shine! Share your experience in the comments below. We love to hear your feedback.

54 Replies
Rebecca Roehm

Yes, I know that is an option but when someone else, who shared a course with me, edits their course my course gets kicked down because their course is the "most recent" to get edited. I work on a huge team with many shared courses. If we are all working on those different courses at the same time (which happens frequently), I have to constantly look for my course. 

As the other user said, the default view should be MY COURSES or make the folders more useful by selecting a folder to be the default view, not ALL courses. 

Lee Webber

Whilst this 'cosmetic' update is nice I wish Articulate would listen more to their customers as there are far more pressing things that need fixing yet we continue to wait - like being able to add your whole team as 'course managers' to a course in one click - at the moment this is a very long and painful time consuming process - we build out about 180 courses a quarter and there are a team of 18 - we have to MANUALLY input each person one at a time to each course so we can all see them - the current process is so archaic and out of date - other authoring tools I have used allow you to put people into 'teams' or workgroups' and you then simply assign that workgroup/team to the course - but not with Rise, you have to do every person individually - COME ON ARTICULATE!! listen please!!

Lee Webber

Also why oh why is Storyline still only available on windows operating system? All the modern authoring tools work across systems for Windows or iOS Apple ? But not Storyline, nope, windows only - crazy - and no please don't suggest Parallels etc - have been there and done that and it is not great.

Crystal Horn
Lee Webber

Whilst this 'cosmetic' update is nice I wish Articulate would listen more to their customers as there are far more pressing things that need fixing yet we continue to wait - like being able to add your whole team as 'course managers' to a course in one click 

Hi there, Lee. We may have some good news on this front very soon. 🙂

Articulate  1

Accessibility hasn't been considered in these updates. Turning off white background on cards for some reason removes play button colour on audio which means people with visual impairment that need audio TTS, can't see the play button in order to listen to text.

Accessibility in general across the platform such as making components WACG compliant would be more useful than an different UI in the editor. If you are going to improve the editor, at least a brand tool kit to allow custom swatches so we can apply brand without needing to add the hex for everything and change default body font size of every component.

Teresa Vanderpost

Hi there,
Did anyone notice that your Start buttons all got renamed to Start Module 1, or was that just me?  I have not been in RISE since all of updates.  Today I went in and they all say Start Module 1.  I went into my LMS to ensure it wasn't me and it wasn't they all have the word Start on the button.

Things that make you go hmmmm.. :)

Crystal Horn

Hey everyone! We have some exciting changes coming to your block authoring experience. We've heard from you that the updates we announced here added some friction to your workflow. So we're doing two things: moving style and format options back to the left and giving them their own one-click menus. 

Check out this article for a preview. We'll let you know once those changes are live!

Leah Hemeon
Crystal Horn

Hey everyone! We have some exciting changes coming to your block authoring experience. We've heard from you that the updates we announced here added some friction to your workflow. So we're doing two things: moving style and format options back to the left and giving them their own one-click menus. 

Check out this article for a preview. We'll let you know once those changes are live!

Thank you! I for one am still struggling with the extra clicks these design changes caused and look forward to seeing the updated, streamlined version.