Rise blank screen issue

Feb 26, 2018

Hi All,
I have a client who is having an issue when re-visiting a Rise course. It works perfectly and as expected when testing in SCORM cloud.

Oddly the course launches fine but on re-visit they just get a blank screen.

One of the difficulties is that I don’t have any access to the system to see what is happening in real time to further debug.

My only real course of action was to get a bit more system specific details to see if anything here would be an issue, they have come back with the following:

LMS: Kallidus Version 10.1.12
Tested on desktop PC running Windows 7
Browser: IE 11
Pop-Up Blocker: Off

Version of JavaScript: Version 8

This all looks fine and in line with the Rise browser compatibility specs.

Since this runs all fine in SCORM cloud I’m at a bit of a loss as to what the issue could be. Has anyone had any similar issues and any resolutions? Or areas for the client to look into further their side of things?

Thanks

85 Replies
Stephanie Samargis

Hi Mauricio
Apologies for my slow reply, I have two accounts so it took me a while to find my archived notes. There is no explanation other than that of a bug within Rise.
Each time it has happened the articulate team have identified a bug and repaired it. 

In regard to your comment. Its basically saying that a rise course will return blank if you attempt to replace an old course with a new duplicated version (lesson numbers will differ and as a result the learner will not be able to resume a course).

Are you updating an existing rise file or are you duplicating the rise file and trying to upload a duplicate copy to your LMS?

In any case, have you logged a ticket with Articualte? The support team are super helpful with fixing issues and bugs if you have identified something. Just allow a few days for a resolution. 

Allison LaMotte

Hi Mauricio,

I just wanted to jump in here and clarify why the resume feature won't work if you replace an old course with a different course or a copy of a course (which is essentially, a different course). 

The reason this happens is that each course contains a unique identifier. This unique identifier prevents the suspend data that's been saved from a different course from working.

I hope that makes sense! :) Let me know if you have any other questions.

Nicole Kelsch

I am experiencing this issue currently. I have a couple of Rise presentations I've loaded into a course prior to going live with students. After uploading a new version of the lesson, it shows either a blank page or any of the previously viewed graphics (such as the cover photo) do not show. Same thing for one Storyline uploaded to this course.

Using Agilix Buzz LMS

angular 9.0.2
Buzz 3.0.176
Chrome 81.0.4044.138
xli 2020.05.27.4534

Mauricio Ventresca

Nicole, in short, Rise + Suspend Data = No go. 

My team and I learned this the hard way and it was a huge headache for some of the projects we where working on back then. We came up with different workarounds this issue:

A) We broke-up larger RISE modules into smaller chucks without any sidebar menu. We uploaded the smaller sections into the LMS and used the divider blocks with a shortcut to start the next Rise course.  From a user experience, the LMS and RISE would work like one system, however, for clients using Agile development, a small update in one module would only reset a learner to the beginning of that micro lesson, not the entire course. 

B) For meduim-sized courses where we wanted to keep the sidebar navigation AND the updates where minor or non-critical: We would hide the course from the LMS catalog and create a new course. This meant any current learners would still be able to complete the course without losing their progress and any new learner would be assigned the latest version. 

I know these are not optimal solutions, however, once we got the system and process down, we were able to keep the courses in RISE, and leverage some of the advantages this tool offers. Hope this helps. 

Mauricio

Crystal Horn

Hi, Nicole. We would like to find out more about the blank page you're seeing. Even if the suspend data doesn't match in the new version, your course should start from the beginning, rather than display a blank page. 

If you're willing, please click here to share some detail with my team. It would be great if you can describe:

• What is the scope of your edits to your existing course? For example, are you adding new lessons and content? Are you simply editing text and media? Are you changing completion or reporting details?
  • How do you upload the new version to your LMS? Is there an option to update an existing course?
  • When you upload a new version, do you have the option in your LMS to clear the existing suspend data for users who have already started the last version of the course? Do you clear it?
Karl Muller

We have seen the white screen under these circumstances:

• Publish a Rise course to the LMS and learners start using it.
  • Make a structural change to a course by either adding or deleting a Rise lesson.
  • Republish the course to the LMS.
  • Learners that were "still in progress" will see the white screen and will be unable to do anything, because the resume data no longer matches the course.
  • We do not have the option to delete their resume data.
  • We have to remove the course and reassign it before they can take the course again, but learners will lose all of their progress data and need to restart.

David Lockett

I've been following this thread and also a similar one on Rise showing blank screens on updates and I'm worried the bug is back - well at least for me! 

Last week I had to update some content within an existing Rise course which up to this point had been running with no issues through our LMS. Since the update, any users who had previously launched the course we presented with a blank screen if they tried to re-launch it. New users could launch the content, go all the way through it and close it. However, it wouldn't record any completion data and sat in in a learners history as not started. If they then tried to re-launch it, they got the blank screen. My content update mentioned above was just changing a few words within one page. The structure of the course had not changed at all.

Then as a further test i created a new Rise course with nothing but a heading, introductory text, an image and some summary text. I uploaded this to our LMS and as before, it launched and ran first time (but with no completion data passed back) and then second time showed me a blank screen. There were no content updates to this, so there's no suspend data issue or anything to do with the structure changing.

This seems like an intermittent issue  that has resurfaced. Can Articulate advise please.

Karl Muller

I just experienced the same thing.

Republished a course that had minor content changes.

Existing learners now get a blank screen.

Oddly, I republished several courses last week all with the same type of changes and they all work.

Only the one I republished yesterday is having this issue.

David Lockett

Thanks Karl. 

Do you know  whether it was an issue with the zip file being incorrectly generated from Rise or an issue with the transfer of the files to the LMS server? Given that you must have been uploading new and updated content for quite a while, it's odd that suddenly a few files weren't being transferred. 

In the mean time I'll make this known to our LMS provider and see if this works. 

Katie Nealis

I am experiencing the same blank screen after a second attempt with an updated Rise course! David, did you have any luck finding a resolution? Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I've been racking my brain for hours trying to figure out what happened. I guess i better switch gears to damage control.

David Lockett

Hi Katie, this took a long time to solve and was found after much testing by our LMS provider (Kallidus). For us it turned out that the problem was caused after Articulate made a change to the Scorm driver file in the last Rise update (which I think was around November 2020). Our LMS couldn't handle the change (where a course was published as 1.2 but was being detected as 2004) and therefore anything that was packaged with the new driver would return a blank screen on second launch. The fix was to simply find an old Rise course (pre-Nov update) copy out the scorm driver and use this in any new packaged content. It iss a complete pain having to swap out the scorm driver every time we create or update some Rise content, but we don't have the issue any more. 

Incidentally there's a few mentions in this thread of testing in scormcloud. However our LMS provider stated that this doesn't fully test the granular detail and functionality of courses in the same way that a commercial LMS does, so it's a litmus test at best.

I hope this helps.

Jacqueline Cardenas

I am having the blank screen issue only with some learners too.  My Rise course was updated and the SCORM zip file replace several times, but all of that occurred BEFORE any learners were assigned.  It occurs regardless of browser, and I am able to recreate the issue on these specific user accounts when I emulate the learner using our "login as" feature in our LMS.  

It has also occurred when a learner exits the course before completing it and attempted to resume the course. 

I found that deleting the user's scorm attempts resolves the issue.  Hoping you have a solution.