Rise Course Opening Blank Screen in Chrome

Jan 22, 2019

Hi,

We have our Rise courses uploaded as SCORM packages in our LMS, Blackboard, and have been getting recent reports of students using Chrome (both on Macs & PCs) suddenly only getting a blank new window when they open one of the courses.  When we send them a direct link to the material, it works for them.  We have hundreds of students that don't seem to be having issues, and those of us in the office aren't having the issue either to replicate.  We've confirmed their Chrome is current, flash enabled, pop-ups enabled, etc.  I couldn't find any recent posts about this, but does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

40 Replies
Adam Hunt

Seeing the same issue described above, but does seem to be happening whether a user is re-starting or opening for the first time. I have tried the troubleshooting steps listed above and still no luck. It is specific to this one Rise course (the other Rise course in our system works just fine). Please advise what I can do to get this module working again.

Thanks,

Adam

Caryn Carman

I tried publishing to SCORM 2004 2nd ed and have had two more ppl report this issue, one using Edge. It sounds as though he experienced this the first time he tried to load the course. I'm still trying to ascertain if he was enrolled in a prior version that he never launched. Any more updates from Articulate, Alyssa or Hazel?

Best,

Caryn

Lea Agato

Hi Caryn, I'm sorry to hear you're getting this issue.  Have you tried uploading your course in SCORM Cloud? Have your users view the courses and see if they get the same issue. 

This video demonstrates how to use SCORM Cloud with Articulate content. You'll also find some helpful LMS-troubleshooting tips here.

If you're seeing the same issues with your course in SCORM Cloud, please share the details of your course using this form and we'll take a closer look at your issue. If you only see the issue in the course hosted in your LMS, you may open a support case with your LMS provider.

Caryn Carman

Hi Lea,

Thanks for the reach out. I've not been able to duplicate the issue. I did want to confirm that using "reset learner progress" will in fact flush any progress made in the module, except for quiz results - is that correct? 

I can achieve the same thing via my LMS so if this is what Articulate is suggesting I'll just apply this feature for all updates to Rise courses. It's def my less preferred solution as it requires a manual message to any learner in progress when we have revisions to upload, so if new solutions are coming it would be great!

Thanks again,

Caryn

Caryn Carman

Hi Hazel,

Thanks for the confirmation. Is there work happening to correct the issue?

I have over 3K learners who are enrolled in req'd courses on an ongoing basis, so there will always be a significant number "in process" whenever I need to push out a new version. With this new Rise glitch, and the proposed workaround, all those individuals will lose their progress (and valuable time spent). Emailing them all a warning that they will lose progress if they don't complete before the update is really not an appealing alternative either. 

Thanks for any further updates!

Caryn

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Caryn. Currently, if your LMS is displaying a blank page when launching an updated Rise course, resetting learner progress is the only way to clear out the mismatched data so learners can launch the course again. We don't have another feature on the roadmap at this time, but we'll keep you posted on updates!

IDEA Team

Hi Caryn - We have had the same issue reported but it's normally been an issue with the browser cache etc. We just put technical instructions into the LMS course shell (in our case Blackboard) explaining to users that if they get the error to either use a different browser, clear their cache, or use an incognito window, and then the pop-up works fine. (There also are settings in the LMS you can choose to not have the course open in a pop-up window and instead open in the same browser window).

Caryn Carman

Hi IDEA Team,

Thanks for your suggestion! In the few instances we've had so far, those trouble-shooting actions unfortunately didn't resolve the problem, but it never hurts to put them out there just in case. 

We can certainly set the course to launch in the same browser window and see if that makes any difference too. 

Appreciate the tips!

Caryn

Harri S

From what I remember when we ran into this issue we had to copy the entire content of the course into a fresh Rise course. I used the "template" feature and selected all of the content per lesson then added this "template" into the new course. That resolved the problem for us and (thankfully) it hasn't come up again. 

Crystal Horn

Hi Brian,

I wanted to follow up with you and see if you were able to launch your updated course successfully. As you pointed out, the export option to reset learner progress should allow learners to start the course fresh after a new version is detected.

arrow pointing to reset learner progress setting

Please let us know if you're still having trouble! You can reach us directly here, and we'll work with you toward a solution.