Rise documentation on image sizes

Oct 30, 2017

I'm looking for documentation on the default image dimensions that can fit into each of the Images templates without requiring zooming.  For example, the first two images I tried putting in the two image grid were too big (they're screenshots), and I'd like to know what size to make them to look good without a lot of trial and error.  Is this documented somewhere?

19 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi Heather!  Rise courses are fully responsive, so your images may have different dimensions as they adapt to different devices and orientations. Follow these best practices when working with media in Rise.

Key takeaways:

• We recommend using the highest quality images possible and letting Rise optimize them for web delivery.
  • It's a good idea to use images where important details won't be lost if the edges are cropped.
  • The maximum file size for each image you upload to Rise is 5 GB.
Crystal Horn

Hi Jack.  Rise displays images in different sizes and ratios depending on the device you're using, especially in those full-width image blocks. For example, the way an image is cropped on a tablet is completely different than the way it's cropped on a phone.

In other words, there's no ratio rule to follow since the image will be cropped differently depending on the device that's used. This fluidity holds true for the authoring environment as well.  Check out this Peek screencast to see the dimensions changing as I resize the browser.  So your full width image dimensions that you captured will likely change if you resize your browser.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jack,

Some cropping may happen based on the image and device used, but I'd be happy to take a look at your image and test it. 

Heather, what's the size of the images that you're inserting? It sounds like you've already taken a look at our best practices article, but if you'd like to share a copy of the images or some examples here we can take a look as well. 

Nicola Fern

Is there any update to this? I'm having this issue as I'm using images of graphs and at the moment the two images side by side are having the labels cropped out which looks ridiculous. There are very few times where I will be using images that are just there to look good - they have to make sense in context with my text. It would be far better if you had the option to fit the width or height depending on the images you were using.

Christian Horner

The "biggest" issue I have is that the interactive images always take up the entire width of the screen. For images that are long top to bottom, the user needs to scroll to see the entire image. Is there a plan to allow the creator to resize an image so it doesn't take up so much space?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Cindy!

Tell me more about what you mean by the images being too large. Do you mean that the images are cropped so that you cannot see the full image?

The 2-Column Grid block displays images in a square. You’ll want to format your images to have a 1:1 aspect ratio so that they fit perfectly inside the image area. 

Check out this handy trick Tom Kuhlmann uses to easily reformat an image into a square. I hope that helps you!

Caryn Carman

Hi!

I came across this thread as I was looking for similar information. I've been working with Rise and having good luck with all the images I've been integrating, until today. I tried pulling in an illustration into a text on image box which then displays the art disproportionately scaled (skewed).

Since the art was saved as a JPG, I resaved as a PNG and tried that. I also tried cropping down and scaling up the image size. Nothing worked. The image displays fine in PShop and it has no effects applied so far as I see. 

Would be very grateful for guidance!

Best,

Caryn

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Caryn. For Text on image blocks, the image will be cropped and resized based on how wide the screen is and how much text you include. The amount of text will determine the height of the image. 

If you have an illustration where you need to have control over its dimensions and to have the text fixed over a certain portion, I recommend adding the text overlay in an image editing app, and resaving the image with the text already applied. You can use a centered image block to preserve the aspect ratio.

If that doesn't help, we'd be happy to dive in with you on some solutions. You can work with us 1:1 by clicking here.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.