Rise not completing & progress not recorded for 5% of learners

Aug 21, 2019

The course has been launched for 6 months now and through one call from a learner and then doing an audit of completions and logs, plus talking to users, I've found some sessions are not being recorded. The biggest clue is we have a discussion forum after the eLearning. So no eLearning completion and a discussion comment is a red flag.

Approx. 5% of learners are doing the eLearning, based on their reports to me and the LMS log. However, when I check by logging in as them, I get a fresh Rise course, as if they have never been there (or they've just opened lesson 1). One learner reports they did the course twice and both times it didn't record. 

It has me beat. I haven't been able to replicate it and I haven't identified any patterns (e.g a certain browser).

I did update the SCORM in the first 2 weeks after the launch with minor changes and I checked that my test user progress data was unaffected. That's the only anomaly I'm aware of.

Any suggestions? I hear SCORM Cloud mentioned as a baseline test, but not sure how that can help with intermittent problems.

55 Replies
Michelle Kotuslki

Here are my findings from deep testing on Totara 12:

Chrome v83

BookmarkingMultipage course – Bookmarking worked. HOWEVER, when I went back into complete the lesson in testing, it did not register my second round of bookmarking. On a second test, it did NOT register bookmarking. Showing inconsistencies with bookmarking.
Single page course – Does not bookmark
Exit Course Button (Upper Right side)Multipage course - Registered completion!
Single page course – Exit Activity did not register completion
Exit Course using BreadcrumbsMultipage course - did not register completion
Single page course - did not register completion
Exit Course by closing window (for pop-up courses)Multipage course - Did not register completion
Single page course - Did not register completion
Exit Course with added Exit ButtonMultipage course - Registered completion!
Single Page course - Registered completion!

FireFox v77

BookmarkingSingle page course – Does not bookmark
MultiPage course – Bookmarked
Exit Course Button (Upper Right side)Single Page course - Registered completion!
MultiPage course - Registered completion!
Exit Course using BreadcrumbsSingle Page course - Registered completion!
Exit Course by closing window (for pop-up courses)Single Page course - Registered completion!
Exit Course with added Exit ButtonSingle Page course - Registered completion!

Edge v83

BookmarkingMultipage course – Bookmarking worked. HOWEVER, when I went back into complete the lesson in testing, it did not register my second round of bookmarking. On a second test, it did NOT register bookmarking. Showing inconsistencies with bookmarking.
Single page course – Does not bookmark
Exit Course Button (Upper Right side)MultiPage course - Registered completion!
Exit Course using BreadcrumbsMultipage course - Did not register completion
Single page course – Did not register completion
Exit Course by closing window (for pop-up courses)Multipage course - Did not register completion
Single page course – Did not register completion
Exit Course with added Exit ButtonMultiPage course - Registered completion!

Opera v68

BookmarkingMultiPage course – Bookmarked
Single Page course – Bookmarked
Exit Course Button (Upper Right side)MultiPage course – Registered completion!
Exit Course using BreadcrumbsMultiPage course – Registered completion!
Exit Course by closing window (for pop-up courses)MultiPage course – Registered completion!
Exit Course with added Exit ButtonMultiPage course – Registered completion!

Explorer v11

BookmarkingSingle Page course – Bookmarked
MultiPage course – Bookmarked
Exit Course Button (Upper Right side)Single Page course - Registered completion!
MultiPage course – Registered Completion!
Exit Course using BreadcrumbsSingle Page course - Registered completion!
MultiPage course – Registered completion!
Exit Course by closing window (for pop-up courses)Single Page course - Registered completion!
Exit Course with added Exit ButtonSingle Page course - Registered completion!

DQS Academy

Hi everyone. I'm Colette, the DQS Portal Administrator.

Same here, so assistance would be greatly appreciated!  I have about 140 learners across Africa that did 3 (mandatory) Rise courses over the last year without any issue. I don't run our courses in popup screens, as those cause numerous problems, so my learners need to press the LMS' Continue button to progress.  

A small percentage (about 4) reported that they cannot continue to the next activity -- conditions in my LMS are set to only allow progression on completion of the previous activity (in our case 100% progression through slides - quizzes are in the LMS itself).  I logged in as them, scrolled through the Rise activity, and they could continue.

2 weeks ago a new staff member reported she cannot continue. I logged in as her, and suddenly, I also cannot! 

After numerous hours of checking and rechecking with a colleague of mine (including opening the courses in popup screens and closing it), we found that progress is only saved if EXIT COURSE is clicked in the Rise module itself. 

Some of the RISE modules in the course never had the EXIT COURSE button enabled when shared. Why would this be a problem now, but never before?  No problem with any of the Storyline courses, but only Rise, so it is not LMS-related.  I also tried changing LMS settings to open the module in a new popup screen, but same issue.  Please advise?  

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Colette! 

You mentioned that progress is only saved if EXIT COURSE is clicked in the Rise module itself. Which web browser were you using when you noticed this problem?

We've seen an issue in Chrome version 83 where Rise 360 courses are not resuming and Completion/Progress is not recorded when the learner doesn't click the EXIT COURSE button.

Let me know if that sounds similar to what you're seeing! 

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for your updates, everyone! This is all very helpful. 

Our team is having a look at this behavior, and we've seen that making this adjustment in Chrome 83 has helped in some LMS environments:

1. Open Chrome browser
2. Go to chrome://flags/#allow-sync-xhr-in-page-dismissal
3. Change the drop-down selection from "Default" or "Disabled" to "Enabled"

I will keep you posted on what our team uncovers! 

DQS Academy

The suggested fix worked, thank you Alyssa!  When we test progression through our RISE courses, we can now continue without selecting EXIT COURSE.  

1. Open Chrome browser
  2. Go to chrome://flags/#allow-sync-xhr-in-page-dismissal
  3. Change the drop-down selection from "Default" or "Disabled" to "Enabled"

Regards, Colette

Karl Muller
Erin Bird

Hi there! I stumbled across this thread whilst researching (what I think!) is the same issue...

I’ve been using Articualte Rise 360 and so far it’s been a smooth transition into LearnUpon. However, I notice that it’s not tracking students progress (in terms of the content they get through). I’ve tried various ways of exporting but it doesn’t seem to be making a difference. Can you advise if the ’tracking’ settings need applying within Articualtre as the export process or whether it’s at the upload stage of LearnUpon because I’m stumped!

My courses are essentially, mostly informative content with a quiz at the end (with a 65% passmark applied in the quiz settings). I'd like students to make their way through the content, tracking progress in % until the quiz is completed and then once quiz is taken, mark as Passed/Incomplete.

Apologies, I'm not techy/dev so simple terms please! :)

Crystal Horn

Hi everyone. Thank you for giving us some time to explore this issue.

Chrome has deprecated a technology that was used by many LMSs to allow a course to communicate back to the LMS when the course window is closed. If your LMS hasn't upgraded their system, or if you're using an older version of your LMS that doesn't include an update to address this change, the course cannot communicate progress or completion properly. This causes learners to start over from the beginning instead of resuming a course or recording completion after they close the browser window.

Please reach out to your LMS and find out if they have released an update to address the Chrome changes. If you need support from us with the technical details, please let us know by starting a case with us here.

Mike Zaluski

Hi all, we are also experiencing this issue!  Most users get through the Rise course fine, but a minority (but significant number) of users have issues where their progress is not tracked in the LMS (we use IMC Learning Suite). This seems to occur mostly when they try to do the course over a number of sittings, but can occur when they attempt the course in one sitting. Initially I thought this may have been linked to the Chrome80 version change, but we have received complaints from FireFox and IE users as well.

- this particular course is published as a SCORM 2004 3rd edition (to get around the data_suspend limitations of SCORM1.2) but have heard similar complaints from other smaller Rise courses as Scorm1.2

- LMS provider indicate they have solved the issue of Chrome Version 80 XHR issues

- module behaved fine in SCORM cloud (lodged a case with Articulate who tested)

- module behaves fine for me (and most) in our LMS, but some users have nightmares

Has anyone had any luck solving?

Kathy Wasson

I want to add we are seeing similar behavior as described in this thread. Course created in SL 360, survey questions only with requisite results slide, Actual Exit button to exit and close course. Published as 2004 4th edition to capture all interaction data.

In LMS, for one course, 10 learners show as Complete, but interactions are only reported for 9 of them.

Many of our courses have numerous people showing "In Progress" and never mark "Complete". (Some of those "In Progress" are reporting interactions for those users, while a some users marked complete show no interactions)

We have reached out to our LMS vendor, but in researching found this thread. There are so many variables it is difficult to determine if it is an SL build problem cause reporting issues in LMS, or simply an LMS reporting problem.

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Kathy! Thanks for sharing the details of what you're seeing in your LMS.

A great way to answer that question, "Is it my output, or is it the LMS?" is to test with SCORM Cloud. If it works properly on SCORM Cloud, it's a good indication that the issue is in the LMS.

We're happy to help you! Click here to privately share your output files, and we can tell you what we think. We delete everything when we're done troubleshooting.

Cyndi Nagel

Hey Paul, regarding your test with Guest Access...  I'm about 90% sure that Guest Access to a course in Totara will not mark completion by design.  I was just reading that in the LMS documentation.  

I am also having this issue with some users not able to complete courses.  Coincidentally, it happens for me, although I can't figure out why.  I'v enacted all the typical recommendations for course completion with Totara, i.e. open course in a second window, add an exit button, I have time to complete set to the maximum,,  etc... I still see a small percentage of users that cannot complete the course despite the content being complete.  

In my case, it happens with Rise course, but also other scorm content brought into the LMS from OpenSesame.  

We should connect offline if possible. I would love to build a Totara PLN for myself. I'd welcome any others to join in.  Maybe we can connect on Slack or something with regards to troubleshooting Totara issues. We just launched this year, and I am taking over admin of the LMS. 

Paul Tottle

Hi Cyndi

For Totara I use guest access and auto-enrolment on SCORM activity - as setting in the enrolment method.

My problem with completions is not happening now. My best guess of the cause -  I updated the Rise version and didn't maintain the same imsmanifest ID. So I now religiously keep a record of the first version ID for each Rise course and copy it into each version. So the ID number never changes as far as the LMS is concerned.

I'll send you a message. Also check out the user groups here. I use the healthcare & government forums, plus a local group that meets in our city.

Paul

Curtis Marquardt

Here's a solution that LearnUpon found. When you go to export a Rise course, Articulate automatically populates the identifier field (not sure why they do?). Anyway, this seems to change the index.html file in the XML doc to include a long string of random numbers in that address. This in turn causes the bookmarking to not function. The solution: delete that automatically generated identifier code prior to exporting the course. It fixes everything. 

Mike Zaluski
Curtis Marquardt

Here's a solution that LearnUpon found. When you go to export a Rise course, Articulate automatically populates the identifier field (not sure why they do?). Anyway, this seems to change the index.html file in the XML doc to include a long string of random numbers in that address. This in turn causes the bookmarking to not function. The solution: delete that automatically generated identifier code prior to exporting the course. It fixes everything. 

Hi Curtis, I'm willing to try anything! Can you let me know where/how does one "delete that automatically generated identifier code prior to exporting the course"?