Rise videos not working: "The media playback was aborted due..."

May 23, 2018

Has anyone experienced this issue? Some learners are reporting that they are receiving this message with embedded videos and/or audio files aren't playing:

"the media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser does not support"

This is a serious issue as we plan on releasing courses soon and do not need to run into any type of errors.

19 Replies
Lauren Parker

Yes! I'm freaking out right now, as I'm also under a deadline and getting the same error with videos in one of my courses once it's published in the LMS. It seems to be specific to Chrome for me, as my video did play in Edge. I have a video that is 4 minutes and 42 seconds, and it stops at the 16 second mark every time with this error. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi James and Lauren, 

I checked with a few of my teammates and we haven't seen that error before, but I can see how alarming it is - so let's get to the bottom of it. 

Thanks, Lauren for sharing that screenshot, you also mentioned this only happened in Chrome - did you experience that as well, James? Do you know what version of Chrome you're viewing it in? 

Also, are you seeing this with all your videos and media or just a particular video or course? If it's the latter, I'd look to re-upload the media into your Rise course. You may also want to test that same Rise course using the Preview or Share option to rule out any issues with the LMS. 

If you're seeing this in all your courses, is that across all browsers and viewing options (LMS vs. Share link)? If you have one of those links to your course you can share, I'd like to take a look and share it with my team too. 

Lauren Parker

Hi Ashley!

Our agency has Version 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (32-bit) of Chrome. I'm having this issue with all the videos in my course. Unfortunately, I can't get the Rise preview to even open in Chrome to test if there's an issue in preview or share: I just get the "Your course is loading. Hang tight" message with the swirling load icon (it's been up on my desktop for the last two hours "loading").

James Morris

I am not getting the issue on my computer but a colleague is. The computer with the issue is running Version 66.0.3359.181 (Official Build) (64-bit), but also received an error in Microsoft Edge browser as well.

The issue appeared in the LMS, Articulate review and in the preview share link.

However...We just tested again and she did not have the issue. Nonetheless it is concerning because we plan to release this to a very large learning population.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

James, I absolutely understand that concern and worry. The last thing you want is all your learners messaging about that error and not being able to view the course. Since it's across browsers and viewing outputs, but has happened to one user I also did a more general search for that error message (outside of Articulate) as it wasn't one I'd seen before. 

I found a few different instances of it, all pointing to the following explanation of the error: 

A somewhat generic browser error that indicates that something stopped the video download process in its tracks. This could be:
  • An issue with the computer, such as a crash or interruption to the network service
  • A browser problem, or a configuration issue
  • The browser is not supported, or currently lacks support for video
  • A firewall, web proxy, or network issue is blocking the video download when the browser tries to play it

One forum for Google and Chrome, in particular, offered these troubleshooting steps:

1. Does the issue persist in incognito mode?

2. Clearing cache and cookies can be useful.

3. Uncheck Use hardware acceleration (Menu> Settings> Show Advanced Settings > System menu).

4. Try resetting the Chrome browser to see if that helps.

5. Also, creating a new user profile on your Chrome can be helpful.

Lauren, I'll reach out to you directly to get a copy of that link, so that we can take a look. Given what I found above, it'll be good for us to test it in a few different setups! Keep an eye out for an email from Support@articulate.com 

Linda Ballew

I have a learner who is experiencing this error in our Litmos LMS. It's only with the Rise courses, not with Storyline, and I can't reproduce it - everything plays fine for me. 

I don't understand the suggested solution. Is the name of the Rise file too long, or the video inserted within the Rise file? if you mean the video within the Rise course, mine has a short name, only 10 characters.

I'd like to know anything you find out.

Thanks,

Linda

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Linda,

This issue has been a challenge for us to pin down, but we're still working towards a solution. As you said, the error can appear on some computers, but not others. 

Since only one of your learners is seeing the error, I would first suggest trying different web browsers and clearing the browser cache.

If that doesn't work, the next step would be to delete the video block in the lesson, then reupload the same video file again. Republish the course and host it on your LMS. This should resolve the error for anyone who wasn't able to view the video. 

Spencer S

We are having the same issues. Set to go live Monday! I am seeing a couple of different error messages, but the result is the same.

The courses are hosted in an LMS.

There is a different message if shared through REVIEW and not in the LMS.

Users have attempted to clear cache and the problem was not fixed.

I have found in the past that during the upload process of the actual video, it sometimes imports corrupted. Unfortunately I do not know this until someone else goes to watch the video and receives the error. The courses have been demoing for 6 months now, and I'm only starting to see these issues coming in. I usually do the typical browser troubleshooting, but I'm pretty stumped as to what the cause is. I have users in China that can't watch the videos and receive the same errors, but I believe that's due to some of their firewalls and a very slow browsing experience.

Any updates or help would be much appreciated.

Crystal Horn

Hey Spencer. We'd be happy to give you a hand with this behavior before next week. Can you connect with us here and start by sharing a link to your course? We can also provide instructions for sharing the actual course copy with us in Rise 360. We'll keep everything private and delete it when we're done troubleshooting. Thanks for reaching out!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.