Rise - Popup boxes tip

Jun 17, 2019

Hi, I have created a quick Rise example where you can use the labeled graphic block as a popup box. I have put a couple of examples in the demo link below. One idea is to use an icon/marker for help or further information. The marker is placed between a couple of text boxes and when clicked, a popup window appears. You can display a image, or video or use the embed option. You can also play an audio file (need to click the play button though).

The other examples has a conditional Continue attached to it, so you must view all three popups to continue.

See example here.

cheers

Gerry

31 Replies
Ned Whiteley

Hi Wendy,

I'm not sure if this is the way that Gerry has done this, but here is one option:

a.  In Storyline, insert a rectangle and adjust the size to the width of the slide and a height of 50px (or whatever similar size you wish).

b.  Format the rectangle to have a white fill and no outline.

c.  Right click the rectangle and select Export Shape as Picture.

d. Edit your Labelled Graphic and import your new image.

If you want to have a coloured background as in Gerry's conditional pop-ups example, just make sure that the background of your rectangle exactly matches the colour of the background of any surrounding blocks.

Gerry McAteer

Hi Wendy,

I am in Perth so just saw your question this morning. I see there has also been a couple of comments overnight. Both Ned and Tom are correct, I have used a small shape as the image and then placed the markers onto the image. I actually used PowerPoint to create the shape and set both the fill and outline to 'no fill' then right clicked on the shape and saved as PNG (transparent). The main benefit of the shape being transparent is that you can change the background colour of the block without the shape affecting it.

cheers Gerry

Ned Whiteley

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the tip on the transparency. It makes complete sense and saves any hassle over colour matching.

I guess with you being in Perth, me on the Mornington Peninsula and Wendy on Bribie Island, I should take this opportunity to welcome Tom to the Australian Connection !! :)

Ned Whiteley

Would love to do DevLearn, but currently not an option. As for the Articulate Roadshow in Sydney, this is the first I have heard about it. I have just checked it out on the web and it certainly looks like a good idea.

I will keep you guys posted on my intentions as it would be great to meet up and maybe also grab dinner together one evening.