Rise progress not saving in Moodle

Apr 30, 2020

Has anyone had issues with progress being lost for Rise SCORM modules in Moodle? It’s not clear to me whether this is an issue with Moodle or with Rise but we have had multiple reports of users losing progress.

Most of the time the report is as follows:
- user completes the module and closes it
- The LMS does not register the users completion
- The user re-opens the module and their progress is missing up to a certain point.
Occasionally they have random chapters of the module unlocked but not others. This should be impossible in a linear course.

In the past we have been able to resolve similar progress issues in Moodle by ensuring the “SCORM Standards” setting is disabled. Disabling this setting ensures that the Rise module can record more suspend data (which is used for tracking completion of chapters in the module). This has solved some issues but not all.

We also noticed that users who have had this issue and have sent us screenshots of the final screen (to prove they completed the module) often have broken images. I would assume this is because the images are loaded dynamically and the user’s connection to the module or LMS has been severed somehow.

Any advice or experiences people have had are appreciated. We are still trying to work out if this is an issue with Rise and it’s connection with Moodle or an issue with Moodle itself.

Thanks,
Chris

Pinned Reply
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Carola! Thanks for sharing about the trouble you're seeing in Moodle. Does your course have an exit course button or link? 

Also, have you tested your course in SCORM Cloud to see if the same problem happens in that environment? We're happy to help you with testing if you don't mind sharing your file privately here!

31 Replies
Deb Gyde

Hi All,  

we ran into the same problem between Rise and Moodle (we are on an early Moodle version) and found the solution was to ensure the SCORM standards setting was disabled, but also to make sure that the completion settings in the Rise course was set to Pass/Fail and not Pass/Incomplete.  This has eliminated the issue of holding all the sections as complete.  We exported as SCORM 1.2.   I hope this helps. 

Ruth Aboagye

Hi Team,

Is there a solution to this problem yet?  I have had trainings where it worked before but now suddenly it does not work.  I made sure I replicated the settings that I used for the previous trainings in both Rise and Moodle and it still does not work.  I need it to work.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Lea Agato

Hi Ruth! Have you tried testing your courses in SCORM Cloud?  The best way to identify an LMS issue is to compare how your published output behaves in an industry-standard testing engine like SCORM Cloud. If your content works properly at SCORM Cloud but not in your LMS, please open a support case with your LMS provider. They’ll know how best to help with LMS-specific problems.  

Crystal Horn

Hi there, John. Rise 360 output won't report on the percentage of completion, or the number of lessons complete. It will simply tell the LMS whether the learner has met the completion requirements or not.

The course will, however, hold a learner's place so they can resume the course from where they left off if they've exited.